Thread: Maps of Beleriand

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    A lot of work for these two maps, and they are beautiful.
    You have been able to magnificently draw the mountains and cliffs.
    I love the idea of ​​making vignettes with enlarged details of the map in color: the cities and fortresses are really beautiful!
    Congratulations !
    Thank you! The details are actually elements in the original size, the rest of the map is downsized. The final version of the map without borders is 6000 pixels high.
    I like my mountains, but still feel urge to redraw them. Actually to upscale the map and color it anew or/and add battles and events to the existing map. I even started adding some events, but scrapped that (WIPs in attachment).
    But I am one of those people who rarely finish stuff because they refine it over and over again Here my friends stopped me

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Wow. Yes the original maps in the Silmarillion bothered me too as being incomplete, and also odd they didn't bear much relation to the later Middle Earth geography.
    They do, just the continent was destroyed in the War of Wrath by the forces of Morgoth and the Valar, so most of Beleriand is underwater. Some mountain tops survived and should be visible as islands on the LotR maps. Himling in northern-west corner of the map is a remnant of the Himring mountain top and there are remnants of the Ered Luin (Ered Lindon) on the western shore, which were eastern border of Beleriand in the I Age:
    http://lotrproject.com/map/#zoom=3&l...&layers=BTTTTT
    There are a few fanmade maps trying to show the sank land together with the Middle-earth map, like this one:
    http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/File:...or_collage.png
    But more mountain tops should be visible as islands, Valar couldn't sank them all. I guess it didn't matter on the LotR maps, so it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    I prefer the b&w map. On the colour map your white stroke effect on the text is a bit too much, it actually makes much of the text harder to read. Try experimenting with the contrast on it.
    It was my problem to make it visible in a small size. It is also one of reasons I prepared that big map for internet, so people could actually read the names. I will experiments with it in the future.

The map without labels and frame, but still with Thangorodrim drawn by Ominous. I see I don't have a version with my Thangorodrim, apart some early stages - and the b&w map. Plus scrapped WIPs of a map with events added on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beleriand-map27-lvls.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	485.6 KB 
ID:	98257

Name:	Beleriand-map-fantasy1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	98258

Name:	Beleriand-map-fantasy2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	98259
    Last edited by Sirielle; 08-05-2017 at 12:40 PM.