Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: Carlsborg 1890

I'll post an update later. I picked throug some of my font collection for SGs entry and i think I found something to give the title a really cool effect. Stay tuned kids!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I will third Ascension about the scale bar.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Here we are then. Barring some tweaks and details, this is most likely the final, or release candidate 1 in any case.
    I'm really happy with how it looks and I do think I got a nice subtle gold effect on the main title.
    I don't know how I can post a map with good res since there's restrictions, I'll link it in if i find a host.
    Since i hope this will be the final post I'll give you the back story to the place as well. It will be a bit long but I hope someone reads it...

The fortress of Carlsborg has for 60 years been the reserve capital of Sweden. It was build between 1819 and 1909. The technological developments in artillery, ammunition, communications and railroads during the 1800s led to extensive revisions and changes in the plans. This prolonged the building time to 90 years instead of the planned 10 and required defenses to be built up to 5kms from the core fortress, this includes two heavy fortifications on Vaberget. The first 20 years of construction was spent removing the sand ridge along Wanäs peninsula. The sand, enough to build 20 pyramids, were used to build the 5km long walls along the lake shores. 1832 Karl XIV Johan (a former french marshall who was adopted as king of Sweden) officially dedicated the fortress to his adoptive father Carl XIII and changed the name from Wanäs to Carlsborg (Carls fortress).
    The plans were drawn up according to the new german school of fortification by Lt. Kleen.

The reason for this huge fortification in the heart of Sweden came around 1719. The great nordic war ended with defeat and russian troops invaded Finland and raided the east coast of Sweden. The king realised that if they could take the capital Stockholm they would break Sweden in one stroke. All important goverment assets were concentrated in Stockholm which were in the heart of Sweden at the time (Finland was a province).
    90 Years after the great nordic war, Russia attacks Sweden again and conquers Finland, raids the east coast and an army stands on the ice ready to take the capital. A storm saves Sweden but in the peace that follows, Finland is lost. Now Stockholm lies at the eastern edge of the country with a sea border to Russia.
    The new defense doctrin that is adopted calls for central defense. One big fortress in the heart of the country will be used as a fall back position and the enemy will be allowed to land on the shore. Long supplylines for the enemy and longer time for the army to mobilize will make it harder to win a war.

Between 1844 and 1866 the land front was built using 250 000 tons of lime stone (it is 678m long). The south side was 2m thick but even before it was finished, they were obsolete. New cannons and grenades could penetrate the tough walls. The response was to build walls right up to the land front and add 2.5m to the main wall.
    Most of the construction was done by army prisoners in so called Pioneer companies, but local labor was hired for skilled labor.
    The south defenses had three layers. First a wall and trech system with block houses (not on the map), then the main wall with it's dry moat and bastions and the last line was the land front itself. The guns were positioned on the main wall and in the land fronts upper floors. The roof could be removed to make room for more emplacements. The cannons on the walls were 24 and 48 pound, breach loading cannons with rifled barrels and in the moats bastions there were 60 M52 24pound breach loaded smooth bores for firing grapeshot in broadside salvos along the moat.

The fortress could house a garrison of 5000 men after a mobilisation, their quarters were in the land front and in the rifle galleries under the main wall along the moat. The nothern side of the main wall housed a huge armory with arms and supplies for 50 000 troops, half the army. In the main armory inside the fortress an additional 100 000 rifles were kept for the conscripted regiments of each province.

1928 the fortress was deemed to obsolete and is no longer operational. Since then it has served as a depot and training facility. To day the ranger regiment Livregementets Husarer K3 (Hussars of the Royal Guard) and the Fallskärmsjägarskolan (Paratrooper school) uses the fortress. Some special units have facilities there too, the Army survival school and some UAV units.
    In total there's about 500 recruits per year.

There's some buildings to note in Carlsborg. The church in the center of the land front is built on the second floor and could serve as parliament in case of war. Under the western land front there is a vault for storing the gold reserve. The town of Carlsborg was confined inside the fortress until 1928 when a small town grew up around it. The town center remained the main square inside the fortress until 1942, when it was moved to Rödesund.

God bless the artillery,
    God keep the pioneers,
    God emend the fortification administration, if at all possible!
    -Per Nyman, Batallion Chaplain

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KarlsborgWIP10.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	9462  
    Last edited by Hoel; 01-19-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: keep forgetting the wip tag

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Gonna be tough to beat, nice work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Man does this belong on a wall!!!

Might even need to pick up a print myself

Just being picky, cause I couldn't stand this winning and know that it got printed with a minor glitch.....

in the cluster of building to the left of the main square, the top left hand building has a slight miscoloring (grey) on the upper right corner of the roof.

Beyond that...... AWESOME!!!
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well done Hoel!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ok. I've gone back to the original and found i made some really bad mistakes (Gate I was finished and I missed the docks). I guess I'll be tweaking a bit more.
    I've tried really hard to make a good jpg this time, I think it keeps the detail better than the previous post
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KarlsborgWIP11.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	9477  

wow O_O

that is just plain amazing
    Something witty and pithy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The coat of arms on the scale bar is a nice touch.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Instant win

Well, not really sure about that, but an awesome map nonetheless. Very good use of textures, colors, effects and fonts.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast