Thread: RPG Maps

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

Map RPG Maps

Here are some of the RPG maps I've created lately.
    They are all available at my RPGNow.com page

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPG-MAP_free-map-02.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	98468 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPG-MAP_free-map-03.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	98467
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPG-MAP_the-elders-conclave.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	98469

I'm working to create more of these, so I started revamping old maps from my days as a D&D Dungeon Master.
    My hope is to create a steady supply of free, simple maps, and a few bigger, more complex and carefully crafted ones to sell for a few bucks.

Let me know if you have any comments & tips!

Those are simple and beautiful. Especially the statue one. Great pieces.

I recently look through your portfolio and i am just amazed your your drawing skills. Astonishing. Is there a chance you could share some information on how you colour your maps? Looking at your Trehörningen map first colour stage, it seems like you fill in flat colours, but when you look closer it dosen's seem so.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Is there a chance you could share some information on how you colour your maps? Looking at your Trehörningen map first colour stage, it seems like you fill in flat colours, but when you look closer it dosen's seem so.
    Thank you Voolf!
    You are correct, I always start with flat colours. Then I usually try to get some tone variations with a watercolour brush. Then add shadows (with the same watercolour brush) and highlights with a pencil brush.
    I have a textured mask that I apply to the group containing all the colour layers. That way it looks less digital. I then apply a custom-made watercolour texture on top of everything.

Sorry, this is really boiled-down so I hope you can get something useful out of it.
    Let me know if there's anything else!

Great maps Onez, the one with the statue is a great layout.

Quote Originally Posted by onez View Post
    Thank you Voolf!
    You are correct, I always start with flat colours. Then I usually try to get some tone variations with a watercolour brush. Then add shadows (with the same watercolour brush) and highlights with a pencil brush.
    I have a textured mask that I apply to the group containing all the colour layers. That way it looks less digital. I then apply a custom-made watercolour texture on top of everything.

Sorry, this is really boiled-down so I hope you can get something useful out of it.
    Let me know if there's anything else!
    Thank you, that clarifies a lot. Do you apply this texture mask before filling in flat colours? This way when you colour it already look less digital?
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Thank you, that clarifies a lot. Do you apply this texture mask before filling in flat colours? This way when you colour it already look less digital?
    I usually apply it to thye group folder at the very beginning, but I hide it (Shift+click on the mask) until the colours are complete.
    Then I turn it back on just before I finalize the map.

Quote Originally Posted by onez View Post
    I usually apply it to thye group folder at the very beginning, but I hide it (Shift+click on the mask) until the colours are complete.
    Then I turn it back on just before I finalize the map.
    Thank you one again. Your maps, as well as all other illustrations are very inspirational.
    New Horizons

Support:

Those maps look "simple" but are really efficient, Onez (when less is more... ). The last one is just gorgeous.

Fantastic work!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"