Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The discovery of a new world

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Yes I was divided between some depictions and the hard edges looked liked reefs to me, the more blured layers did not satisfied me... Actually I spent some times trying to illustrate sea waves with Gimp filters with no success I fear...

Maybe the softer edges with this amended depth colouring and the wave texture would work better?

Or you may already have tried that, so ignore me if you have

I've tried several combinations but not this one, thanks. Actually I am not happy with the way it is coming. I'm gonna take a break and perhaps change the style completely...

Have you considered making everything a few shades paler, or the whole ocean a little less intensely blue, or a slightly different shade of blue?

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. But as with pictures, overall colour and tone can often make or break a map, and the only way to make it right is by experimenting till it works for you

Even if it doesn't work, I always find that I continue to learn about colour, no matter how much I already know. I believe it was Henri Matisse who was famed for his understanding of colours, but insisted even in his later years, that he was still a student in the matter.

Good advices, thanks. I'm not happy with the overall "realistic" style and maybe change to an ols hand drawn one... I'm going to give myself time for reflection.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Ocean contours...

Good job so far. Concerning the depths, relate the depictions to the expected area of the drainage basin and the vegetation density. Some deltas can form, and can be worthy settings for world building, at the terminus of large, slow moving areas that are flat. High cliffs or steppes against the shore can furlough out deep shores, like in Hawaii. And these contours can affect seaworthiness to explorers and conquerors alike.

Hi,
    So I decided to rework that map and to go for a old "hand drawn" style... Here are the coasts and some mountains.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-world7.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	777.0 KB 
ID:	100621

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12