I've been thinking about the google map api and the concerns raised and the capabilities as well as the limitations of it. And also thinking back on other map viewers based of of mapping software.

The big limitation for the cc2 map viewer was that it was basically a cc2 renderer, which is what the cc3 viewer would have to be. so redraw times become an issue.

I was thinking of creating a program that would take hi-resolution renders of maps from ANY software and cut it up to create tiles like the google map api requires and display the maps using a similar interface as the google map api offers, but offline. The benefit here would be that its use would be more intuitive in the realm of getting your map into the system.

Further expansion on such a product would allow for google map api code and images to be generated based on templating for online display.

What do you all think of me pursuing such a project. I'm a programmer by trade so something like this is in my realm of capabilities. I'd like to discuss it with you the mapping community though.