Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Little World of LohreFen

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Lovely map, I like the tapestry surround.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Backstories/novels grow like plants. You start with a simple idea like a seed, but it grows over time as the idea matures. You'll soon have more than enough to write about - if only you can find the time
    Time.. indeed. nods... that is always the thing for me, finding time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Great work John! The perspective looks perfect!
    Thanks Daniel
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    The colors make this a welcome change from "ordinary" B&W maps, and the lineart is as great as I have come to expect from you, J.
    Thanks Wired
    I love black and white, but find that I do not do it as much as I'd like.
    But I found that I did quite like blue on cream. Is nice on the eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    John, I really envy your talent for displaying your splendid maps (subtle mixes, different views, or perspective like this one). What a fine map! I also like the simple yet efficient small shields.
    Thanks Ilanthar
    I had wanted to do something more involved with shields and info on the other edges of the map.
    But ended up doing the border and I am happy with how that turned out. It was a new thing inspired by Alturax's border.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    And you pull two Thurians back to back ! You're really motivating me to try and do an entire one !
    Hehe I am a busy dude some times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is lovely. I like the monotone colouring. I don't think it needs more (though it'd be interesting to see what you'd do, if you were to colour it). It looks like a great place to explore.
    Thanks CP I won't likely get color as that was not in the plan and time is so limited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    One of my favorite pieces by you in a while, J. I love the clean look of it, I think this is map that works best when drawn digitally. Your linework is good enough to carry a lot of character even when done in digital form (you are a Cintiq user, do I remember correctly?). And the perspective is indeed interesting, but it works splendidly! I also really like the subtle little coats of arms.

I actually disagree with some of the voices here - I think this simple two-color look works perfectly. The blue ocean is more than enough to help the eye separate the land and sea, and I love how clear it makes the whole piece. A darn fantastic map all and all!

Ps. What is that font you used for the title? It looks great and I need it.
    Thanks Kelleri
    Yep, I am a cintiq user.
    Probably the best investment I have ever made.

The font for the title is called Scurlock, for purchase at Myfonts.com
    and a free demo at DaFont.com
    If you can afford to, always purchase a license to a font if you plan to sell prints or do freelance work with the font in question.
    But it is nice to have a free demo to mess around with. I used the demo for a bit and realized I quite liked the font and so purchased it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Lovely map, I like the tapestry surround.
    Thanks so much Rob

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Thanks Kelleri
    Yep, I am a cintiq user.
    Probably the best investment I have ever made.

The font for the title is called Scurlock, for purchase at Myfonts.com
    and a free demo at DaFont.com
    If you can afford to, always purchase a license to a font if you plan to sell prints or do freelance work with the font in question.
    But it is nice to have a free demo to mess around with. I used the demo for a bit and realized I quite liked the font and so purchased it.
    Virtual high-five for Cintiq! I agree, it's a bloody fantastic device. And totally worth of having to be flat-ass broke for over a year after I bought mine

I hear you about the fonts, I've started buying the licenses to fonts I like whenever I can. Even though I don't do much commercial work yet, I am someday hoping to. I thought is best to start building a my toolkit of stuff I know I'll be able to use in commercial projects as well - ought to save me time in the long run
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert

Love this! I'm not the biggest fan of the border, but it doesn't even matter you're work is superb as always.

That's a great idea! Your map concepts are always an inspiration for me

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Outstanding work. As always!

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Thanks Karl
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Virtual high-five for Cintiq! I agree, it's a bloody fantastic device. And totally worth of having to be flat-ass broke for over a year after I bought mine

I hear you about the fonts, I've started buying the licenses to fonts I like whenever I can. Even though I don't do much commercial work yet, I am someday hoping to. I thought is best to start building a my toolkit of stuff I know I'll be able to use in commercial projects as well - ought to save me time in the long run
    Agreed. When i bought my first one, so many years ago [2005 maybe?], i saved for 6-8 months and then couldn't buy a thing for another 6 months or so.
    Crazy expensive thing... but I love the hell out of it. I started with a wacom graphire.. so.. like maybe 3 x 4 inches or so.

Toolkit - it will save you time, for sure. And spreads the cost over a longer period so is easier to digest too.
    Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Love this! I'm not the biggest fan of the border, but it doesn't even matter you're work is superb as always.
    Thank you Kacey
    It was my first attempt at this sort of border, and to be fair, the concept was actually to be done differently for a different piece.
    Maybe it would or will convey better in that style/color scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    That's a great idea! Your map concepts are always an inspiration for me
    Thanks Francesca

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Thank you Kacey
    It was my first attempt at this sort of border, and to be fair, the concept was actually to be done differently for a different piece.
    Maybe it would or will convey better in that style/color scheme.
    I think it would look fabulous in a different colour scheme. If it were made to look like embroidery or a tapestry or something with warm colours it would give it a whole new effect, and now I'm curious to see the piece it was actually designed for

This one is so nice John! And with only two colors!! I have to spread some rep sadly

Oooooh man, the restrained, muted color palette used on this piece is absolutely sublime.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast