Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: unexplored Lands

Guild Expert

Here is the new world... I need to do some major cleanup, the edges are pretty pixelated, it's very low res right now and I have a few artifacts to take care of, but this is the shape and it's not changing.

I actually used fractal terrains this time, I never realized before that you could paint you're own land forms right in it which was really handy because the generated worlds it creates are really weird with long stringy land masses so it was nice to just paint and have the programme take care of distortion at the same time, plus it randomised the coast for me so it was a big time saver, I may simplify the coast when I finalize it and clean it up, it's a bit over detailed I think for a world map, but for regional sections this should do just fine.

I prefer the Robinson projection so I'll start with that, here is the "other ocean"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robinson.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	823.3 KB 
ID:	102062

And here's the main working map

Name:	equirectangular.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	795.7 KB 
ID:	102063

And the poles, I'm pretty happy with how well the programme dealt with distortion.

Name:	poles.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	832.4 KB 
ID:	102064

This planet is in the process of breaking apart from a large Pangea type land mass, I'm trying not to get into tectonics this time but I can't say I'm not tempted to throw it into G.Projector and see what happens.

I've been reading this thread but not commenting before now because fantasy tectonics leaves me cold. I prefer studying real world tectonics when I'm in the mood for that kind of thing.

So I didn't really have anything to say until now

I really liked your old world. I mean the new one is great, but I like the one you had before a lot more...

Guild Expert

Thanks for you're honesty Mouse... Fantasy techtonics leaves me a little cold too, it's a real pain in the ass actually, something I think you just have to push you're way through if you're crazy enough to even try it. And don't worry I haven't completely discarded the old map I put too much time in for that, but for right now it's just another map that isn't finished yet. The new map may not be as nice as a whole I do agree, but I've found many regional sections within it that I'm kind of excited about.

I'm trying to do it faster this time, the coast so far took less then a week while the other one took almost four months. I think if I can get through this one quickly I may not loose steam on it, and since I'm not attached to it like I am the other because of the time put in I'm more willing to let the small things slide...

It's looking really good!

Guild Expert

How much of an effect does wind and rain have on topography? Are techtonics enough to figure out elevation or should I be considering what type of effects the weather might have on the terrain as well? For example, will the side with more rain be more eroded and slope down more smoothly dropping sediments on the way to give a more gradual slope? And does the direction of the winds effect the terrain maybe distributing sediments in a different direction? Are winds effects strong enough to even have an impact on the terrain, like if there was an area constantly being pounded by heavy winds would this be enough to alter the rocks on the side of a mountain in a certain area or is this just a stupid question?

I'm about to start the topography on yet another world layout, I swear this is the last one, but I don't want to waste a bunch of time detailing it only to find out that I need to redo it after figuring out the climate because I know just how long it's going to take.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, I'm not quite sure what type of approach I should be taking from this point forward. Right now all I have is a coastline and a vague idea of where mountains might be.

Don't forget glaciation. If there's been ice over an area for a few thousand years, when it retreats the valleys will be straighter, deeper, and more U shaped than ordinary river valleys. The terminal moraine may become a natural dam for a long ribbon lake that fills the bottom of the U shape. When these lakes touch the coast they are fjords, or in Scotland they are lochs (whether or not they reach the sea). The mountains are sharper and steeper in glaciated areas due to the cutting of the glaciers, and they are jagged - sawtooth like ridges caused many thousands of years of ice shattering (when ice forms in the cracks during the night and expands the gap, shattering the rock). Older ranges are more rounded and their slopes are relatively gentle - although there is the odd exception to that general rule. It depends how hard the rock is and whether the sediment is allowed to gather at the foot of a cliff, or carried further away.

Age is another big factor. A very young mountain range, like the Himalayas, will be much steeper and less uniform in shape than an older range, since it hasn't been anywhere near as eroded, and the sediment hasn't gathered and smoothed its lower slopes all that much.

Wind erosion is mostly important because of where it dumps the sediment. The Badlands in China and America are composed of fine dust deposited by prehistoric winds. The dunes of the Sahara roll slowly over the land, driven by the wind. And some of them are unbelievably huge.

Areas where flash floods are caused by seasonal rains but which are otherwise dry may have dry gorges, and/or wadis.

Coastal shapes can be affected by coastal drift - the sea can smooth the line of the coast in the direction of the ocean current, leaving odd little bits stuck out where there is a layer of harder rock in the strata. It can also deposit vast sand banks that eventually become land.

While wind, water and temperature variation do have an impact on the landscape, old mountains are smaller and flatter.
    You might be overdoing it in my opinion if you try to include them all. The effect is spread over thousands or even millions of years. Glaciation is probably the only one worth considering.
    In about 10 000 years, the Sahara has been a desert, a lush savanna/tropical forest and then back to a desert.
    Winds and temperatures will shift overtime. Unless we know these ancient climates as well as the current one, I think it's hard to mess up something BIGGLY.

Guild Expert

Wow lots of info, I hadn't even thought about glaciation looks like I need to do some more reading before I move on.

Hey Kacey
    You know I'm going through the same stages your are and have the same homework so therefore don't have the experience of mouse or Azelor but, just to get to climate, I think the thing to focus on is the elevation of the land which WILL affect precipitation and wind. I'm focusing on this first and once I know wind and rain can use that data to inform my ideas of what erosion and sedimentation has taken place and revise accordingly. Just my two cents.

Fur glaciation I found a great article that really covered it well. Will try and find the link for you and post it when I'm home.
    PaGaN

Edit: lol, whilst I know Mouse has experience, I meant pixie...lol

Edit of edit: nope, I meant mouse. God's help me. I'm still medicated from this flu
    Last edited by PaGaN; 12-22-2017 at 08:34 PM.
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast