Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August/September 2017 Challenge: Shannara & the Cathedral of Knowledge

Your buildings look a whole lot better now you have reoriented them

I have to agree with Jo about the composition, though. Sorry!

On a different point - Everything seems to be just a tad pixelated. You might consider working at twice the size and then reducing the output by 50% before uploading. That brings antialiasing into play, and will give you a lot more scope for adding details.

An example of what I mean...

The GIMP file for Nexus in my own entry is 6000 px across from side to side, but by the time I upload the map its only 3000 px across. There are all kinds of mistakes in the original - tiny ones that disappear when the city is scaled down that way

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Oh yes, the draft was done at a small scale because I had to relinquish my control of the computer with Photoshop and assemble the draft in MS Paint. My PSD is in the 6000 px range so the final result will be far less pixelated.

I'm going to play around with the layout to show off the individual floors. My original concept came from this old map of DC:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC map with inset.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	99535

I think I'm going to drastically reduce the size of the cathedral sketch and make it more ornamental. That will allow me to focus more on the city map and the floor plans. I already put a TON of effort into the floor plans so now it's time to finish off the city map!

In the nicest possible way... Oh do please hurry up, Ashinidae!

I really want to see this finished in the final line up
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-25-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I don't see what you don't like with your cathedral drawing, I find it quite all right. You wanted to do a lot more on this drawing ?
    I'm sure you'll find a nice way to finish it all before the end, but I'm still attached to your first sketches, I found them very cleverly built !
    Anyway, I wish you all the best for the final work !

JO - Did the balance seem okay on the first version? I was concerned it would look too busy.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

For me the first version was really good ! I liked the distribution of all the elements : it was well readable and beautiful on the same time. Each drawing was clearly highlighted. But that's only my opinion. I hope other will give theirs soon, because I'm no expert

Thank you both for all of the feedback. It is much appreciated! I played with the concept to better feature the floor plans. I still need to highlight the location of the cathedral on the map, add some labels to the map, and finish the sketch of the Cathedral of Knowledge. If I have time, I'd like to tidy up the areas surrounding the floor plans and play around with the color or opacity in the floor plan boxes. Right now I feel like the edges of the building are getting lost.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Shannara Contest Entry Draft 6 (sm).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	99564

That's looking really great

The only thing I would suggest is that you keep an eye on the spacing between those levels on the right. They could do with being eased a bit further apart.

Ok, there is a second thing. Shannara doesn't quite fit between all the inset maps. You can do one of two things to make it right. You can either shrink it down so there is a reasonable gap at either end, or you can make it even bigger and have it clearly overlapping the insets in a fashion that says 'I'm meant to be on top of everything'.

I was torn between shrinking Shannara and going for the "I'm meant to be on top of everything" (I like that description). I was having some issues with spacing until I realized that, duh, I can expand my canvas size. I would have liked to spend a little more time cleaning it up but instead the spouse and I went to the Renaissance Festival and devoured food on sticks and played with swords.

Thank you Mouse and JO for the helpful advice, and thank you Bogie and Daniel Pryor for the amazing top-down map elements!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Shannara Contest Entry FINAL (sm).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	9.35 MB 
ID:	99673

Brilliant

That looks a lot better

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast