The great City of Shannara stood as the intellectual and artistic capital of the known world and rivaled the political capital in its beauty, size, and wealth. Located at the mouth of the Shannara and Ahndani Rivers at the tip of Shannara Bay, it was a prime trading port for the lumber, wool, iron, and whiskey generated north near the Yllarel Mountains. Shannara’s Cathedral of Knowledge was the envy of scholars, artists, and mages across the world. The Cathedral was home to all manner of books, scrolls, spell books, maps, musical instruments, and fascinating laboratories. It hosted gala events on its vast main level. The Cathedral of Knowledge was the shining star at the heart of the city.

Thirty years ago, a new religion known simply as The Way took hold in the capital city at the southern end of the Shannara Bay. The people of Shannara became concerned as they saw the repudiation of the old gods and of knowledge, and the increase in slavery and dark magic. Still, the people assumed their city would survive any such changes from the south, as it had stood for nearly a thousand years. Then, one day twenty years past, a cleric of The Way came to Shannara. Through the use of terrible magic, he destabilized the great Cathedral of Knowledge. It was partially swallowed by a sinkhole, and its bottom levels were flooded by incoming waters from the surrounding rivers. The mighty Cathedral cracked as it slid down into the sinkhole and countless priceless pieces of art, books, and artifacts disappeared into the water. Frightened and aghast, Shannara expelled all clerics, closed its gates, and refused to engage with the wider world. Its leaders permit outsiders to trade on the banks of the river to the city’s southeast but no outsider has passed through the gates of Shannara in twenty years.

I’m using (1) Local Map, (2) Submerged, and (3) Verticality. I haven’t gotten to the submerged part yet, but the lower level floor maps will show portions covered with water. I live about half a mile outside of Washington, DC, so that was my local map inspiration.

### Latest WIP ###
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shannara Draft 1.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	98768

The WIP is my very first draft so it's still in rough shape. As always, feedback is welcomed and greatly appreciated!