Thread: WIP - Insula Beata (aka Sorcerer's Isle)

Guild Member

Wip WIP - Insula Beata (aka Sorcerer's Isle)

I've always loved the Riftwar Saga, so here is my interpretation of Insula Beata, otherwise known as Sorcerer's Isle or home of Macros the Black.

Insula Beata v0.1:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Insula Beata v0.1.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	5.23 MB 
ID:	98780

The main island is where Villa Beata will reside near the spring and creek, up from the sandy cove, and at the top right will be where the castle will reside.

I've laid down the main islands, and am playing with the forests at the moment. I'm not tied to the cliff edges, which seem to be the bane of my existence so any guidance there more than welcome on getting sea edge cliffs going.

Any and all feedback welcome!!

Ra.

Background History:
    Sorcerer's Isle is a large island in the Bitter Sea. Its first known inhabitants were from Queg who fled the Quegan revolt of Lord Vax. They named the island Insula Beata, or Blessed Isle, and founded the Villa Beata, a beautiful dwelling, but died out very isolated and having little resources. When the persecution of magicians reached its height in the Kingdom, Macros the Black fled to the island and few travel to or from it since. When a intelligent and benevolent race of goblins perished long before humans came to the Bitter Sea, their survivors were brought to Sorcerer's Isle by Macros. His faithful servant, Gathis, was the last of this ancient people.

Guild Member

Worked on this last night to add in some colours, and more landscape detailing, and plan on doing the ocean detailing next.

Insula Beata v0.2:

Name:	Insula Beata v0.2.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	8.26 MB 
ID:	98792

I still might have to get myself a tablet, doing all this with a mouse is giving me RSI of the right click finger!

Ra.

Guild Member

Well I've progressed a bit with some of the ocean detailing, with gradient layering of the ocean and some wave specifics. I also adjusted the colouring of the water and land using some hard-light layers to punch it up a bit to get the look I want.

I think I'll work on some more landscape detailing next! Perhaps some stone-work of a lost civilisation which lured the most recent settlers who founded Villa Beata?

Current WIP - Insula Beata v0.3

Name:	Insula Beata v0.3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	98927

Ra.