Thread: A brief on Japanese Fortifications

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Japanese Fortifications, part 2

When viewing the photo above of Himeiji Castle, notice the structures sticking out of the first floor above the foundation motte. Don't know the Japanese name for these at the top of my head, but the literal translation for these structures are "rock drops." These essentially allowed the defenders to be out and over the attackers below so they could drop rocks on them, as if through murderholes, found in European gatehouses.

Though I'd like to post a plan of the out buildings and outlying structures, few actual complete castle grounds and surrounding walls remain in Japan. Himeiji, though an exception to that was built during the time - gunpowder was being used and much of the outlying structures were built with guns and cannons in mind. So much of what was included in older Japanese castles do not apply to Himeiji's construction.

However, The Shiro or main donjon is usually in the center of multiple courtyards each with their own set of walls surrounding them. Basically attackers were forced into a spiral movement through the maze of walls and courtyards to get to the center and attack the main fortress itself. This allowed greater and longer exposure to the missle weapons being fired from the fortress onto the attacking forces.

Also because the attackers were forced to travel round and round the castle to reach it, secondary donjons are castle structures were built on corners and areas adjacent to the main fortress. Though this allowed additional defenders to attack from the real purpose was subterfuge. Wearing armor, traveling in formations while being attacked from the donjon and spiralling around the castle. Attackers would get confused on which tower was the actual fortress.

One additional feature is that each courtyard and access path had its own gatehouse leading to the next courtyard further inside the complex. These gatehouse were built at 90 degree angles to the courtyard within. Attackers who successfully batter down through the gatehouse would find themselves being attacked in the flank by the defenders within. Making bypassing gatehouses even more dangerous.

Below is an example of this type of gatehouse construction. The red arrow represents the attacking force, the arrows represent the flank formation of defenders.

If I can find a complete castle grounds layout, I'll post it here as well.

That's about the extent of my understanding of Japanese fortifications.

One of the these days, I'd like to create a complete Japanese castle plan with outlying buildings and the wall and gatehouse complex for use in the many RPGs based on ancient Japan, like L5R.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jap-gatehouse.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	9032  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Post One final note - beneath the castles...

One final point, Japanese castles did not have underground structures like dungeons, cellars or tunnels - except for one.

I mentioned having visited Matsue Castle in Shimaneken. This castle is unique in that it had a tunnel that connected the main fortress with one of the outlying lesser fortresses, primarily for missle assaults - the outlying tower defended a corner of the outer wall. I thought is was cool at the time, I got to visit the unique castle.

Regarding Himeiji castle, as it was built in 1592, defense from artillery was a big deal for that castle and the moat system included 3 different moats the furthest to prevent ranged guns to reach the main castle itself (at least in the technology available at the time of construction.)

These moats are deep, about 60 feet deep, were generally dry moats with stone walls encasing the the moat walls. Some of these moats were 100 feet across. The bridged lands that crossed the moats were located on different sides of the castle forcing attackers to have to move around the castle to reach the next bridge to cross the next moat.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations