Thread: Best software package for modern, squad-level tactical mapping?

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Question Best software package for modern, squad-level tactical mapping?

Hi! I'm new to mapping, not artistic, and looking for software recommendations to be able to create nice looking maps within some specific constraints. I am willing to spend some money on this, especially if it will get me a lot better results aesthetically (I'd prefer results closer to Conflict of Heroes than Squad Leader). I'm technologically capable and dont shy away from complex interfaces. My main issue is a lack of artistic ability and so will be reliant on the graphics the software includes.

I mostly want to create maps on a similar scale to squad-level tactical wargames. These are generally on a hex grid (though sometimes on a square grid) where each space is roughly 20-40 meters across. So you could fit maybe one single family dwelling per space, not multiple and not one space per room or multiple spaces per room. The settings will be early 20th to modern or near-future. The settings will often, but not always, be wartime so I'll want to be able to show damage on the terrain and the buildings. I want to be able to do everything from dense urban to rural. I have included some examples of the types of maps I'd like to do (though I understand I may not be able to get to that level of quality). Would CC/CD/DD w/ SS3 be a good choice? How is the variety of selection for modern buildings in those packages?

I am also having a hard time finding examples/tutorials for this scale. It seems like most are either battlemaps/street level which are too detailed or city maps which are not detailed enough. Any pointers to tutorials on drawing maps at this scale would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atb-planning-map-4-farm-and-hills.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	98895 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7A56D214DF7D4BAEAE252D6F305A987D.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	98898 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic3641819_lg.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	418.8 KB 
ID:	98894 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic343441_md.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	98899 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic363648_md.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	98896

Hi Josh and welcome. I have very little artistic ability but I am starting to find I am improving as I get more practice. This guild is a great place to get advice. There is a thriving Campaign Cartographer community on here and I do believe there are a few people who were/still are involved in the redundant but rising again from the ashes Dundjinni package. There are also thousands of symbol packs, textures and all manner of things that are available either free for personal (i.e. non-commercial) or for a small fee. I think there's a user's group here.

Personally I use GIMP which is free, and I'm slowly getting to grips with Inkscape. There are plenty of tutorials around and plenty of very helpful people Take a look around the various parts of the forum and if you see something you like why not ask the artist what they used etc? Many would be very happy to tell you, I'm sure.

Most of all though, have fun Sometimes you'll find a map you can't take your eyes off an before you know it several hours have passed by

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Hi Josh, did you try Dungeon Painter ? The downloadable is not free but not too expensive ( about $15 I think, I used the online version to quickly draw encounters maps for rpg and bought the downloadable on steam to support the software and designer) and there are some modern tiles collections you can use with it.

There's also the free SweetHome3D. Although it's intended for designing individual dwellings, it's easily used to design towns and fields.
    Selden

'I'm technologically capable and dont shy away from complex interfaces'

Ok then I recommend Blender/Krita/Gimp.

You can make buildings in Blender, render them, then paint them in Krita or Gimp.

Name:	k2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	99868

Name:	k3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	99869

Name:	k4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	99870

And for ground textures, an easy way is to find good textures and pattern stamp them:

Name:	k5.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	99871
    Of course, making it nice an refining it would take some time, but that's what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam101 View Post
    'I'm technologically capable and dont shy away from complex interfaces'

Ok then I recommend Blender/Krita/Gimp.

You can make buildings in Blender, render them, then paint them in Krita or Gimp.
    It's a good suggestion, however:
    My main issue is a lack of artistic ability and so will be reliant on the graphics the software includes.
    Renders such an approach daunting. That said Josh, you can always buy (or find free ones) pre-made files (objects, houses etc.) and arrange them in Blender to your liking, and render things that way. I do believe that one of the Campaign/Dungeon software sounds more like what you are looking for though.

Josh, have you taken a look at HexDraw?

I have zero experience with it, but some of the screenshots provided seem to be along the same lines as what you're after.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.