Hi Josh and welcome. I have very little artistic ability but I am starting to find I am improving as I get more practice. This guild is a great place to get advice. There is a thriving Campaign Cartographer community on here and I do believe there are a few people who were/still are involved in the redundant but rising again from the ashes Dundjinni package. There are also thousands of symbol packs, textures and all manner of things that are available either free for personal (i.e. non-commercial) or for a small fee. I think there's a user's group here.

Personally I use GIMP which is free, and I'm slowly getting to grips with Inkscape. There are plenty of tutorials around and plenty of very helpful people Take a look around the various parts of the forum and if you see something you like why not ask the artist what they used etc? Many would be very happy to tell you, I'm sure.

Most of all though, have fun Sometimes you'll find a map you can't take your eyes off an before you know it several hours have passed by