Thread: Hi everyone!

Post Hi everyone!

Hello guys,

I've been drawing a fantasy map every now and then by hand (just a simple sketch, I'm not much of an artistic talent), because I really enjoy making up new worlds and cultures and possible Storys that could take place in that same world. As I started studying Geography, maps started to fascinate me even more. There are so many more things you can show in a map than just the landscape of a fictional world.
    Recently, a friend of mine asked me: "Hey, you study Geography, can you make a map for my fantasy novel?" I wanted that map to look more professional than a sketch drawn by hand and so I started looking for computer based tools, that are not that complicated. I ended up with Inkarnate, which was good at first, but I wanted to do so much more than just the limited options they offered. That's how I came here. I read through a few tutorials of GIMP (I did not try it myself yet).

I am really looking forward to getting better and better in designing fantasy worlds and maps and I think, that the Cartographers Guild can be a huge support in archieving that.

Nikky

Hi Nikky, and welcome. Glad you've found us.

I do recommend working through a couple of tutorials (there are lots for Gimp in this comment). You'll learn many basic processes (for example, how to create coastlines) and you can use this knowledge to develop your own maps. Be warned however... mapmaking is very addictive!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work, and if you need help with anything, just holler.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"