Thread: Ursula K. Le Guin's Tau Ceti

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Those are beautiful maps. Something about the crispness of the black lines just does it for me.

Thank you for your kind words! The black and white aesthetic was a conscious choice of course, since the print will probably be in black and white. I've seen too many gorgeous maps in colour or grey scale be ruined by poor print quality [0], though black and white is in no way safe in this regard - I'm afraid that maybe I have a few too fine details in the maps. It is difficult balancing clarity of features and level of detail, and I think that in particular the labels on Urras could probably be improved, but it is definitely a challenge I can recommend. I have to admit, however, that though I am an amateur in all regards when it comes to map making, colours and shading are areas where I feel particularly less confident, so I probably wouldn't have made the maps in any other way regardless!

--------
    [0]: This one comes to mind unfortunately: https://www.tor.com/2016/08/02/mappi...f-vellitt-boe/ I love this map for its subtle colours and the technique of contrast without contour lines, but unfortunately in the printed book (at least the edition that I have) this has been completely ruined.
    Last edited by skymandr; 09-03-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo