Thread: Ursula K. Le Guin's Tau Ceti

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Ursula K. Le Guin's Tau Ceti

I made some maps of the twin planets Urras and Anarres from Ursula K. Le Guin's "The Dispossessed", meant for a future publication of the book in Swedish. The geographic features were defined in Le Guin's original maps and I have tried to stay faithful to those while still adding my own touch and interpretation. I've already written about them at great length at my blog [0] (where you can also read about their license), so I won't go into great detail about their construction here, however...

In brief summary, they were made using the azimuthal equidistant projection [1] in the style of Erwin Raisz' "trachographic method", and I consider them an homage to both Raisz and Le Guin. The maps below are versions I made where, after some intense but fun geographic detective work, scouring the book for geographic clues, I have tried to add (almost) all places mentioned in the book. The extra locations make the maps more realistic and interesting, I think, but will probably not be the published version since the placing of the locations are not canonical. The maps were made entirely using free and open source software - Inkscape and Gimp mainly, assisted by the excellent drawing program Krita and a few home-brew Python scripts for going between projections and similar. The fonts are also free and open source fonts from Arkandis Digital Foundry [2]. With the choices of iconography, layout, projection and fonts I tried to find a compromise between a fantasy and an SF look for the maps, but in hindsight I think they are probably closer to the former than the latter.

I will likely tweak them a bit in the future, but for all intents and purposes these are the final versions. All feedback welcome, however!

All in all, I am very pleased with the result, and I hope you will like them too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anarres_en_all.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	98933

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	urras_en_all.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	98934

--------
    [0]: Lots of text about the process of their construction, projection considerations and sketches to be found at (in reverse chronological order):

[1]: http://www.map-projections.net/singl...uidistant-hemi An excellent resource for comparing projections!

[2]: https://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/ There are some really beautiful fonts here!
    Last edited by skymandr; 09-03-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added license info