Thread: Town of Phandalin

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Derek Von Zarovich's Avatar

Map Town of Phandalin

Hey I've been away for a few months but I wanted to make a return. Here's a Phandalin map I recently finished, this is part of the Forgotten Realms. I created this illustration with a wacom tablet in photoshop. I tried a new stily (for me) of doing digital water paint, or at least tried. the end result is good in my opinion. Let me know of any feedback or comments in general.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phandalin-L.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	535.4 KB 
ID:	99253  
    I'm the owner of www.elventower.com, I spend my time writing DM tips and guides for my website and drawing all kinds of maps to share them online.

I also crowdsource my work here www.patreon.com/elventower

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Good looking map ! I specially like the work you've done with the light and shadow for the relief ! It looks really good !
    For the digital water paint, I think you did a very good job ! It's nice to see the texture of the background appear like that and I love the "sketchy" style of the painting.
    I'm less fan of the white lines that goes with the labels : I think they hinder the reading of the map and disturb the pretty composition between the choice of colors, shadows, relief and details

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Derek Von Zarovich's Avatar

thanks for you're advice, well that's the DM map maybe I should have posted the other version which has no labels. Still it's good advice. Maybe there was a better way to label the map without taking away from it.
    I'm the owner of www.elventower.com, I spend my time writing DM tips and guides for my website and drawing all kinds of maps to share them online.

I also crowdsource my work here www.patreon.com/elventower

That's a pretty good map. And it looks good too, nice job. I'd have been happy to have used such a map in one of my games.

Guild Artisan

Beautiful Colors. I really like it. No Bridges? I kid, I jest.

Seriously, the colors are great and map really flows. Really like the style.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Von Zarovich View Post
    thanks for you're advice, well that's the DM map maybe I should have posted the other version which has no labels. Still it's good advice. Maybe there was a better way to label the map without taking away from it.
    Number the locations where the text won't fit and list those locations somewhere there's a mostly blank area. With four locations currently using the white lines to connect locations to names, you'd have plenty of room in the center bottom of the map to place the key to the left of the scale.