Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maps of Esea: Asdern

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Maps of Esea: Asdern

Here I am with another map. I hope you will like it. Totally open for adivices.
    Here's my deviantart page: https://impesio.deviantart.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asdern-144dpi.png 
Views:	505 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	99166

Wow that looks great. The one issue I have is that using the same methodology to indicate height and to indicate various habitats makes it hard to distinguish between the two. For instance on hight maps or hight gradients, green is often used to indicate low ground, here you've used it for forests, so it can be somewhat confusing. I don't know if there is a good solution for this but what I see most often is the use of patterns or a pattern of symbols.

That's because I highlight biomes with a stroke when hights do not have it

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

Great, I love the colors!
    The land masses also look great! Very natural.

My only issue (not really an issue, just a personal preference) is with the greyed-out area of Saahma. I feel like it could be a bit more transparent and let us see a bit more what the rest of the world look like.

Also, I agree with Falconius, it could help to make your forest biome stand out from the heightmap palette.
    Maybe you can add some 40° parallel lines pattern or something similar to it?

You have a skill of drawing mountains to look just how the look in real world. With realistic elevation contours comes also natural rivers and coastlines. A like this map and your other maps very much!

At first look the forests could be confused to elevation colours, but I think it's working well. However, I'm interested in what other land uses or biomes there are in addition to forests and those swamps. I guess there are fields in the lowlands, but you haven't shown it, everything else than forests and swamps are now just the same undefined area.

Do have some plan or purpose for these maps or do you make them just for the fun of making?

It's Grayed beacause it's still very WIP. xD I have all the regions in a single huge file and I am proceeding in composing the picture region by region. Since this one has a very strange form and since I will soon not be able to work for a while, I choose the gray option. One day a versione more connected will be published. A lot of work aeaits me in the grayed region.

For the palette, I will find some expedient. I tryed with wymbols but I didn't like it

Guild Expert

This is very impressive, it looks absolutely stunning. Did you do this all by hand or do you have some type of process that you're following to create the different heights? It really looks authentic and natural... Great job!

I did this all by hand and the bigger challenge is the realization of realistic mountain ranges.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Impesio View Post
    It's Grayed beacause it's still very WIP. xD I have all the regions in a single huge file and I am proceeding in composing the picture region by region. Since this one has a very strange form and since I will soon not be able to work for a while, I choose the gray option. One day a versione more connected will be published. A lot of work aeaits me in the grayed region.

For the palette, I will find some expedient. I tryed with wymbols but I didn't like it
    Oh, I see. Sorry, I hadn't seen your previous maps. It makes more sense if it's a series of regional maps of a larger area.

Quote Originally Posted by Impesio View Post
    I did this all by hand and the bigger challenge is the realization of realistic mountain ranges.
    That's quite impressive, your topography feels really natural! Keep it up!

Thank you very much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast