Thread: How can i create something similar to this ?

Default How can i create something similar to this ?

Forget the color overlay over certain areas. I'm mostly interested on how to create the colors on it, i'm kinda new to photoshop and cartography but i couldn't find a tutorial like that. Also, i'd love to hear on tips on how to achiev the same "parchment" look.

Thanks everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uy2ZTPc.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	99146  

Hello SD

Is the original artist someone we know? A member here, perhaps?

I ask, because it would be easier to work out how the map was created (eg if it was Photoshop, GIMP, or some other software favoured by the original artist). In addition to that, if the artist by some slim chance just happens to have created a tutorial on this or a similar style, it would be easier for us to find it for you

EDIT: There are lots of parchment textures available in the Mapping Resources forum. If you don't want to go hunting them down thread by thread, however, I have a very small collection linked in my signature below you could choose from.

I created mine in GIMP after watching this YouTube tutorial.
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-10-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hello SD

Is the original artist someone we know? A member here, perhaps?

I ask, because it would be easier to work out how the map was created (eg if it was Photoshop, GIMP, or some other software favoured by the original artist). In addition to that, if the artist by some slim chance just happens to have created a tutorial on this or a similar style, it would be easier for us to find it for you

EDIT: There are lots of parchment textures available in the Mapping Resources forum. If you don't want to go hunting them down thread by thread, however, I have a very small collection linked in my signature below you could choose from.

I created mine in GIMP after watching this YouTube tutorial.
    That's actually the map from the game "Elder Scrolls Online" so i don't think we can find it's creators. Must be some artist at Bethesda / Zenimax. And thanks a lotfor the link and your collection at your signature!

You're welcome

Just to save yourself any upsets in the future, it might be better to just hyperlink to images like these instead of borrowing them and re-uploading them right here

There are lots and lots of tutorials here for both Photoshop and GIMP, which I suspect are both likely candidates for the app that produced those maps.

A professional artist of that kind of calibre would probably have used Photoshop, though you may want to seriously consider GIMP, which is free.

Learning how to draw mountains and other regional/world mapping symbols and features is covered more than amply right here at the Guild, but if you prefer watching videos this site might be of interest to you.
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-10-2017 at 04:25 PM.