Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukiyo-e Map Objects - take two!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Ukiyo-e Map Objects - take two!

This should please, Ravs, if no one else. Something I started almost a year ago and never completed, but now I'm going at it again, starting from scratch.

In an effort to create a series of map objects that can be used for Japanese style RPG game maps - Sengoku, Legend of the Five Rings, Oriental Adventures and the several other Japanese historical/mythical based systems. I am emulating the wood-print block or Ukiyo-e style of landscape art, especially from the Ukiyo-e masters: Hokusai and Hiroshige.

My plan is to create 20 or so mountains, then hills, then trees, bridges, town symbols, boats/ships, Shiro castles, pagoda temples, temples at Nara, Masoleums like the Tokugawa temple, ports and piers, merchant/craft structures and occupation settings - and basically whatever else I can find or think up. I will create a map using these objects at the end of the series.

The first two objects are a color filled and non-color filled mountain objects - the same one. I actually viewed a winter landscape scene with a mountain similiar to this - which is why I chose to offer a non-color filled version. Also one could color fill to their needs with that one also.

Ukiyo-e styled mountains 1 and 2, enjoy!

(These are transparent PNG files about 540 pixels wide at 100 ppi)

GP

PS: if you think I should make them larger, I can do that.

PPS: and Ravs, I know, about damn time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain001.png 
Views:	655 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	9078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain002.png 
Views:	532 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	9079  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

GP that is stunning, very cool!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very nice, I'll have to hide these away for myself. I'm assuming you drew 'em but if they came from a print, which one? I love this style so I love checkin 'em out. For some reason, it always reminds me of this show on PBS about a decade or longer ago with this guy who did brushwork (sort of like a Chinese Bob Ross) and it always makes me feel mellow but good
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Next mountain...

I hope the mountain references I find aren't as complicated as this one. Note, I am not "tracing" these objects, rather I'm sketching based on reference, then changing the geography a bit - in this case the mountain is much taller than the reference, but I follow the cascade rather closely.

Looks like the white backing is peeking at the top, I'll fix that...

Mountain with a Cascading Stream.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain003.png 
Views:	392 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	9089  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-10-2009 at 12:16 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

You are an extremely talented artist. Have you taken any classes or is this just the result of years of practice?

Post Years of practice mostly...

I took art in high school and a few classes (not even a minor, though) in college. Then I've been a graphic artist, then designer, pretty much self-taught and years of experience. Truth tell, until about 2 years ago, when I started mapping heavily, I only dabbled in hand-drawn work over the years, but never lost the talent for it.

EDIT: I've always been able to draw. I took art in school to practice my techniques not so much to learn new ones, I was too stubborn and always did things my own way.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-10-2009 at 12:48 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I wasn't inferring anything nefarious, I just wanted to get me some looks at the inspirations so I could get some as well. I took art classes the same way...and for the easy A to pad my GPA
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I wasn't inferring anything nefarious, I just wanted to get me some looks at the inspirations so I could get some as well. I took art classes the same way...and for the easy A to pad my GPA
    Sorry, forgot to post the references!

First mountain (and I will do a couple more from the same landscape scene) is by Hiroshige, Mountains and Rivers of Kiso, ca 1857

Mountain with a Cascading River is by Hokusai, Yoshino Waterfall: Yo****sune washing his horse (I didn't put the horse or guys in my version), from the Series - A Journey to the Waterfalls of all the Provinces, ca. 1830 - 1831.

Note: I made major changes in the second one, and merely cropped the mountain down for the first one.

GP

Edit: just realized a "4 letter word" beginning with an "sh" is in the middle of that Japanese man's name - LOL.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-10-2009 at 02:02 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Laugh. Love the censor on that one. Superb images, GP. I'm looking forward to more, even if I'll probably never use them myself.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I took art in high school and a few classes (not even a minor, though) in college. Then I've been a graphic artist, then designer, pretty much self-taught and years of experience. Truth tell, until about 2 years ago, when I started mapping heavily, I only dabbled in hand-drawn work over the years, but never lost the talent for it.

EDIT: I've always been able to draw. I took art in school to practice my techniques not so much to learn new ones, I was too stubborn and always did things my own way.

GP
    Very nice. You a righty or a lefty (yea I know I'm getting off topic)?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast