Hello fellow Cartographers!

This is my first post, so if I did something wrong like post this in the wrong place, I apologize. Let me know and I will fix it.

I have been working on the wonderful tutorial by RobA, which has been incredibly helpful. I find that I learn best when I do something myself, so I decided to break off from the tutorial and make my own map!

I started with the a map created by the new twitter bot Metroplogeny, specifically this map. I wanted to explain how curvy and loopy the streets were, so I made Madiza city a desert town with large rocks jutting up, preventing buildings from being built in a regular arrangement. I don't know what I will use this map for, perhaps Numenera.

I also wanted to do something a bit atypical, so I chose to make it so that there is no river/stream running through or near the city like most cities. Madiza city is based partially on what I picture the Fremen settlements in the book Dune by Frank Herbert (amazing book, by the way), so I interpreted that they would have stores of water inside buildings, with water always being the limiting resource, making water incredibly valuable.

I am planning on adding building labels, maybe a border, a title, and of course a small compass rose.

I would love to hear constructive criticisms, ideas, things to add, anything like that.

Here is the map:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madiza_city_v0.7.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	99311