Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Born Free safari maps 2 [commission]

Map Born Free safari maps 2 [commission]

This map of South Africa is from a series I did back in 2015 for the well reviewed photo safari company, Born Free.
    The focus was predominantly the parks in each country but there was also a desire for the feel I was creating in my fantasy maps as well.

So I came up with a simplified way of rendering the terrain so it would be consistent across the series.
    In total, it was six maps. Kenya was the first and set the tome.
    Tanzania followed that map and fully solidified the style.
    I explained a bit more in the first post of the safari maps.

South Africa was the third map and had some interesting features to render.
    Later, we would end up doing a whole southern Africa region map that allowed me to delve more into the surrounding region.
    Thanks to all who repped and commented on the last safari maps.
    I know this is very much the same, so if you don't wanna comment, that's ok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Born Free safaris - South Africa by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	99355

The style is very consistent across all the three maps I've seen so far - and so beautiful

Guild Expert

The whole series is fantastic, I really love the style and colours of these maps, great job once again.

Another wonderful map! I love this series.

I cannot wait to see the whole series linked together ! If you do not do it, I will for my own amazement !

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The style is very consistent across all the three maps I've seen so far - and so beautiful
    Thank you Mouse It's sort of fun doing a whole series.
    That is one of the challenges - to keep it consistent, which oddly wants to drift a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    The whole series is fantastic, I really love the style and colours of these maps, great job once again.
    Thanks Kacey
    Initially, it was a bit different in color and when it changed to this scheme I was not initially as pleased with it.
    It sort of grew on me over time. There was a different color scheme for the park areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    Another wonderful map! I love this series.
    Thanks you Francesca We have 3 more maps in the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I cannot wait to see the whole series linked together ! If you do not do it, I will for my own amazement !
    Hehe, well, like i said over on DA, I am not sure they are linkable, though there is a whole Africa map - just a bit different in level of detail.

Wonderful work John. The series looks great so far and I can only compliment you on the consistency (:

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    .....It's sort of fun doing a whole series.
    That is one of the challenges - to keep it consistent, which oddly wants to drift a bit......
    Drift is what happens when an Artist is at work

New ideas.... always the new ideas!

This is a really nice piece of work and perfectly sets the scene for a safari tour. The colours are spot on for me and would draw my attention if I saw this advertised.

Also seeing the Kruger Park is a great excuse to post this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

By J.Edward
    I know this is very much the same, so if you don't wanna comment, that's ok.
    Then, I'm not commenting... Oh, wait, I am already !
    More seriously, it's wonderful, John. The only nitpick I could fine is that I would probably underly more the coast on the south part. But that maybe because I'm a big user of dark line for this...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast