Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Khanate of Katlam

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

So... I think shadows and colors are made... now, labels and border... any suggestion for the border ? I tried something yesterday but it was not good... I have the tendency to make borders too wide or too complicated and heavy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	99833

Nice work and excellent cities/buildings, Jo !

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice work and excellent cities/buildings, Jo !
    Thanks a lot ! Still no ideas for a type of border ?

Well... Now that the island is finished, I try to catch up with some of my ongoing maps...

Here's what I found as ideas for labels and border... not totally convinced, though...

Name:	Khanat of Katlam 02.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	4.07 MB 
ID:	101275

Its still as beautiful as last time I looked at it, Jo, but I'm not entirely convinced by the scroll or the border either.

Maybe the border would look better if it was closely related to one of the colours in the map, and at least twice as broad, possibly with a muted design embossed into it. (I missed your request for ideas - sorry!)

The scroll? Well.... It just seems out of place, if you don't mind me saying so. With the lovely fresh bright colours of your map, and especially with the white labels, the map doesn't feel ancient enough to have a scroll. But I'm fresh out of ideas as to what to suggest. Does it need anything at all if there's already a blank bit of ocean right there for the title to be written on?

If you are going for an ancient look you might have to desaturate your map quite a bit (which would be a pity), and use plain dark brown text for the labels - without a glow.

A difficult one...

This map has a nice shape and lovely colors. I would like mine to look as good as that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Testify View Post
    This map has a nice shape and lovely colors. I would like mine to look as good as that one.
    Thanks a lot ! It's not that difficult : most of the ideas on this map are copied on the beautiful map of the guild... I just try to mimic the things I like (with more or less success, I must say) and I do it again, and again...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Its still as beautiful as last time I looked at it, Jo, but I'm not entirely convinced by the scroll or the border either.

Maybe the border would look better if it was closely related to one of the colours in the map, and at least twice as broad, possibly with a muted design embossed into it. (I missed your request for ideas - sorry!)

The scroll? Well.... It just seems out of place, if you don't mind me saying so. With the lovely fresh bright colours of your map, and especially with the white labels, the map doesn't feel ancient enough to have a scroll. But I'm fresh out of ideas as to what to suggest. Does it need anything at all if there's already a blank bit of ocean right there for the title to be written on?

If you are going for an ancient look you might have to desaturate your map quite a bit (which would be a pity), and use plain dark brown text for the labels - without a glow.

A difficult one...
    Thanks for your input, Mouse !

You're right, it's not an ancient map....

So I tried this, which is an attempted to marry the actual design of the map (cartoonish ?) with a false ancient style (which should not appear too much ancient).
    Let me know if I succeed, please...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Khanat of Katlam 03.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	8.70 MB 
ID:	101312

Oh, that's nice
    I almost suggested a bit more color in the border [either in the light areas or lightening the design to brighter blues?] because the map has such beautiful tones but on second thought I'm not sure. It has a nice contrast and fits the map title well just the way it is. I think you succeeded.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, that's a winner, Jo. The title looks great. (Map does too. )

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast