Thread: How to do a map projection with an overlapping hex grid?

Question How to do a map projection with an overlapping hex grid?

Knowing little about cartography, it was only recent that I learned about how map projections will distort the accurate scale of maps. How can this distortion be reflected on a hex grid though? Is there software that will accurately reflect this?

I'm interested in creating my first accurate world map whilst acknowledging that planets are more roundish than flat, so I'd like to know. Thanks!

A hex map is a whole lot of little flat elements abutting each other. Those elements represent an average (or a particular feature of) what's in the world under the hex. As such ,using hexes doesn't buy you much except that it introduces a different kind of distortion that hides a lot of the local distortions. Check your other thread and see if you can answer the questions I asked there.

Mimicking a globe cannot be done just with hexagons. You also need 12 pentagons. There will still be distortions from the globe unless you use an infinite number of hexagons. I don't think that the software you would want exists, but you might take a look at https://github.com/vraid/earthgen-old to see what such a mapping can look like.