Thread: Nightfall Europe

Wip Nightfall Europe

I'm quite busy right now (Tipeee, commissions, an attempt to make my day-to-day job evolve...), but it has been quite a time I didn't do a proper fantasy WIP thread... It's probably be a very slow one, but I'm gonna start anyway.

It's a evolution (and combination) of different things I have in mind. And in a word, it's a fantasy version of Europe. I will probably do North Africa and part of the Middle-East as well.

So, I started with the British Islands. I'm at the very begining of the shading, and the water needs some work too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nightfall Europe.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	356.7 KB 
ID:	99815

A bit more, thanks to the good old sunday .

Views:	82 
Size:	513.8 KB 
ID:	99924

Nice relief on the coast. If you do all that you want in this project, that's gonna be epic !

You've cut Scotland in half! OK, I'll put it down to artistic licence and forgive you!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

By ThomasR
    Nice relief on the coast. If you do all that you want in this project, that's gonna be epic !
    Thanks! It's the idea, but I have a lot of things to add on this portion... so it's gonna be a loooonnnng WIP .

By ChickPea
    You've cut Scotland in half! OK, I'll put it down to artistic licence and forgive you!
    Glad you forgive me! Hum, I'm hesiting to add the rest now...

I'm struggling with the cities... I think they probably do not fit (too big, and I'll have very different ones to do). I may do some tests with just a symbolic building or a symbol.
    Those are more tests than anything else. But yeah... not really what I want.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	77 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	100036

I think the city icons look good, but it depends a bit on how many you plan to include in the finale. IF you're going to have a very detailed map with many cities, then those are probably too big. If you're going to only show larger towns and cities (i.e. somewhat denser than you have now) then I think those icons will fit it well.

Overall, it's looking really good. I like the somewhat painted look of the land edge, at the moment. It is certainly an ambitious project, but you do seem to like those, don't you? I remember your magnificent city of Argona...

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

By Wingshaw
    I think the city icons look good, but it depends a bit on how many you plan to include in the finale. IF you're going to have a very detailed map with many cities, then those are probably too big. If you're going to only show larger towns and cities (i.e. somewhat denser than you have now) then I think those icons will fit it well.
    Thanks, Wingshaw! I'm not gonna put a lot of cities and locations... It's before all an overview map. My problem is that I have hard time to convey what those cities should look like and that I've quite a diversity of them. I'm gonna go for something more symbolic, I guess. Or maybe just one building...

I've tried some new things for forests/terrains.

Views:	83 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	100296

Overall, it's looking really good. I like the somewhat painted look of the land edge, at the moment. It is certainly an ambitious project, but you do seem to like those, don't you? I remember your magnificent city of Argona...
    Well, I still want to do some district maps or even redo the whole damn city with what I've learnt.... But there are more pressing things, right now.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm with Wingshaw, the city icons look great, if there's not to many of them. Diversity in how they look would be cool, architecture is a cool way to show the differences in the countries
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

This is really gonna be epic and I don't care if I repeat myself

This is looking really nice so far.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh