Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An interesting discussion topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I was tickled by this:

Attachment 99894

Sorry about the hard left into off-topic-ness, but come on, that's funny.

George Lucas didn't consider that level of realism did he?

When I originally read the article, I didn't - and still don't - think it was an ad for Blando's book. The article is actually categorised as a book review, which makes it entirely justified that it would devote some time to analysing a single book. That said, I think it fails badly as a book review because
    a. it meanders far and wide from the task of reviewing the book, and
    b. it very clearly (at least, in my opinion) makes no effort to understand the purpose of Blando's book, but has instead imposed the author's assumptions about it.

When it comes to the question of a fantasy map having to be 'realistic' or following certain conventions, I say: yes, it does have to follow conventions, at least some of them. If we examine historic maps, we can ask: what was the cartographer trying to convey? What was the cultural/political/religious etc. views of the person who made this map? These questions, however, are much less relevant on fantasy maps. And the reason: because we have no other point of reference.

Suppose, for example, someone decided to create a highly original and abstracted map of Egypt. The cartographer may have chosen to depict the country in a way that emphasises one piece of information, and therefore gives the viewer no idea about, say, the major geographic features (the Nile, the Delta, the desert). The thing is, that's fine and it's great and it's artistic, and it is those things because we are able to check other sources. We could look at other maps which emphasise the geography, or we could even catch a plane, board a ship, or jump onto a horse and go to Egypt, to check it out for ourselves. But you can't do that with fantasy maps.

Let's say Tolkien's map of Middle Earth didn't show mountains, rivers, forests or cities. Let's say instead that it showed textile patterns in different parts of Middle Earth (I'm now imagining orcs in Mordor working in a textile factory, creating aprons for export to Rohan, or something). If all we had of Middle Earth was a map of textiles, we'd have no other way to learn about the geography - we can't look up Middle Earth's rivers in an encyclopaedia.

So fantasy maps - in my opinion - have to be better at conveying information than real-world maps. It may be fair to say that the information doesn't have to be geographic (if Lord of the Rings was a saga about competing textile companies, a textile map would actually be quite appropriate), but it much more often than not is going to be.

Lastly, thinking about little Straf and his lightsabers in Northern England has left me imagining if Star Wars had been made in a North English accent. I know that there's a Cockney Star Trek (Youtube - check it out, it's brilliant!!), but Geordie Star Wars would be the best thing ever

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Blog Entries

Ahh if only Britain were that simple... Norfolk is in the South of Britain.

The original actor for Darth Vador is David Prowse - a Bristolian (Bristol UK) with such an accent he had to be dubbed by the now famous rendition of James Earl Jones - but come on... what must that original shoot sound like before it was dubbed. Much speculation has been made - esp in these parts.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-07-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Try this...

I think he's putting an effort into sounding stereotypically English, because he really doesn't sound like a Bristolian.

Blog Entries

Never seen that ! Shame it was only a couple of lines there to get the sample from. Was desperately hoping for something more akin to "Ere Luke my babber, yeh cassn't resist the dark side init".

EDIT: Damn - now I am down the rabbit hole of youtube with Teesiders in Space...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-07-2017 at 04:02 PM.

All in a soft low and gravely whisper

I know!

EDIT: oh? How did that happen, Red. I ended up watching loads of hilarious animal videos!
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-07-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Ahh if only Britain were that simple... Norfolk is in the South of Britain.
    Indeed it is but I was born and grew up in the North East so it would be as Wingshaw said, more like Geordie Star Wars.

"Ye divvent wanta botha wi these droids like bonny lad."

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Now I'm hearing Obi-Wan going:
    'I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out: "U WOT M8!?"'

Oh thank you! I am crying! ROFL!

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Indeed it is but I was born and grew up in the North East so it would be as Wingshaw said, more like Geordie Star Wars.

"Ye divvent wanta botha wi these droids like bonny lad."
    Haha, this line should be in this year Star Wars
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast