Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month

Hey Straf

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Take a very short breather or something and come back to it fresh again tomorrow.

You could always lower your sights just a bit and aim for 25000, or 10,000 like me. That's still a worthy achievement.

And who knows - maybe 10,000 words written with more care than 50,000 words written in a mad dash will be closer to the finished draft and a better base to work on the rest of the book at your leisure.

Does anyone know if we can continue to write after the month is over - Continue the record on NaNoWriMo, I mean?
    Last edited by Mouse; 11-05-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I'm not taking part in this, but I'm sending good thoughts to all of you who are! Also some chips & cheese. Or maybe a munchy box.
    LOL! Thanks ChickPea. I'm feeling quite hungry now!

Any chance of a bacon butty?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks tilt
    I'm limping along behind on just 3555 at the moment, but I'll see if I can put in an extra effort tonight and make it all the way to 4000
    You made it past 5000 I can see - good work

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Just passed 9000, with almost an entire day left in my weekend. Well, except for the three hours or so I have to set aside to watch my team lose to the Raiders tonight...
    Going strong D

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I'm not taking part in this, but I'm sending good thoughts to all of you who are! Also some chips & cheese. Or maybe a munchy box.
    Thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    That's the bit that's got to me I think. The battle is huge and I can't work it through in my mind. It's going to be a major point in the story and one that shifts the political attitudes of the whole land. Maybe I'll skip to the outcome and then what happens in the aftermath, then I can put the battle in later.
    Maybe you can just write some very general notes of the battle (like a quick timeline) if you need those and then, as mouse suggests, jump on to easier parts of the story. You CAN make it *plays Eye of the Tiger*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Rats! The inner critic has got me!

I've spent all day editing what I've already written, and I'm only now getting down to adding some fresh new words!

Straf calls it the Inner Critic. I call it a pain in the neck! LOL!

Guild Artisan

Rats! The inner critic has got me!

I've spent all day editing what I've already written, and I'm only now getting down to adding some fresh new words!

Straf calls it the Inner Critic. I call it a pain in the neck! LOL!
    You can't edit on these things!!!! You know better than that, lol.

Write, write, write.

That's why I don't do these. I have no problem writing, I always stall out during the edit stages.

Oh you know how it starts. You decide to re-read what you wrote yesterday so you get back into the flow, and you spot a comma that's in the wrong place, so you put it right. But doing that makes the sentence a bit of an odd shape, so you switch the phrases around till it looks better. That, of course, makes the paragraph a bit strange, so you end up messing with the whole paragraph - rewording phrases, rewriting whole sentences. And then when you've got the paragraph straight, you realise it no longer fits between the ones above and below it.

And so the editing spreads throughout your chapter like a fire consuming the words, and before you know it you've confused yourself, got someone dying before they were born, and you have to bin the whole mess and start again.

how many times have I done this to myself?

I've lost count!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Solid plan, Straf. Don't get bogged down, just get on with the other bits and come back to it. Skate across the quicksand, don't swim in it!

Does anyone know if we can continue to write after the month is over - Continue the record on NaNoWriMo, I mean?
    Well, you can certainly continue writing. Once the month is over, there's goal trackers. Look under your Author Info page, then tab to Goal Trackers. I haven't looked up the details of how they work, but the pull down menus offer the full year, so they should be usable at any time. As far as NaNoWriMo "success", its the words written in November that count. They have continued a gradual expansion of support for writing beyond the month of November, however, and I expect they'll continue to have more events and independently usable tools down the road.

Hmmm...

I think I've blown it.

I had a much better idea for chapter 1 and did a re-write. End result - I'm down to 2000 words where I had nearly 6000 before.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to move on if there's a tangle in my script until I've put it right!

Once I get past that score I will continue updating, but its another couple of days wasted!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmmm...
    I think I've blown it.
    I had a much better idea for chapter 1 and did a re-write. End result - I'm down to 2000 words where I had nearly 6000 before.
    Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to move on if there's a tangle in my script until I've put it right!
    Once I get past that score I will continue updating, but its another couple of days wasted!
    As the famous song says.. "let it go.. let it go.. .don't edit cause it's slow"
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast