Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arch City of Nessa'Mor

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Map Arch City of Nessa'Mor

““Remember her heroism… That is what stands engraved at the very beginning of that memorial. It is those very words that moved me to start a great city around the mysterious statue. There is more written there. But the rest, after that single sentence, I can’t yet decipher. It was written in an ancient language, I am told. And yet, I still felt compelled to honour the woman with the lonely face. What her story was, who she saved, might remain a secret through the ages. But, we will honour her regardless.”” –Founder Jiria De'Morr

Arch City of Nessa'Mor
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arch_City_of_Nessa'Mor_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	537 
Size:	5.01 MB 
ID:	96639

This map is my very first WIP and now my first finished map to go on this lovely guild.
    Started in GIMP -> 05-04-2017 07:20 PM -> Finished -> 06-17-2017 11:42 PM

It started out with me struck down by a bad case of vertigo, out of commission for weeks at end. But, I willed my unresponsive right hand to draw the startings of this map. And so it came to be.

Then I scanned it, then imported it into GIMP and I started chipping away at it.
    It was hard, it was fun, it was frustrating(read my wrestling with the border. ) and most importantly, it was an amazing journey.

And thanks to some awesome feedback and advice from a lot of guild members and a certain epic Mouse, I got the first take of this map finished. Yays!

It is, I think, about a third smaller than my main file.

Okay, it is not just draw and color. It is drawn and then pieced together with multiple other drawn parts. Which created its style.
    And a texture created by the lovely Mouse is sneaked in and is lurking in honor of her. (Dare you to find it! Huhuhu. )

P.S. (I think that is all that is necessary for the FINISHED MAPS thread?)

Updated Version added below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nessa'Mor_300ppi_byOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	5.87 MB 
ID:	100192  
    Last edited by XCali; 10-16-2017 at 02:12 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

A Tie in, hope you enjoy it.

~High Cliffs of Nessa’Mor~

River of Daggers

Side book

Omri Hope

Main Genre: Fantasy Epic
    Genres of the series: Adventure, Mystery, Survival, Discovery, thriller

“”What drives one to risk their lives over and over … to challenge the oppressive weight of the dark even with the smallest of lights? What indeed. Yet, that is the question that stalks me day by day as I attempt that very thing. I just hope that I can keep standing when so many before me have given up on this path.“”
    -Zalia Lightpaw

Prologue
    The Chase

Small puffs drifted away as her a breath blew out in the crisp cold of the night air. A flash of memory of kids giggling at the sight was brief, but this was no time to enjoy it. Danger was close.
    The dagger at her side lay forgotten as her fingers tightened around the round object in her pouch. Her eyes darted to the left and the right past the tree. Close by, there was a bridge that crossed the river before her. But she would not attempt to cross the bridge tonight. What was in her possession was far too valuable to risk being discovered.
    This was the closest the artefact had gotten to the city in the cliffs, ever. Yet those that hunted for it had only gotten more numerous over the months that it was attempted to be couriered to the heart of Nessa’Mor. Since it became absolutely necessary to be transported, every single one had given up the trek in fear of the hunters.
    And yet it was of the utmost importance that it reached the city. What her brother had warned her had all but come true since leaving their hidden home.
    The free fingers of her other hand glided over her forearm. Scar upon scar met them. All were new. There was only the hope that most would fade. But just a hope…
    Her lip quivered as her anxiety once more threatened her determination. Fear was her handicap, as it was with all.
    Though, in this she was alone. No one was there to share the burden.
    As she glanced back, it pulled at her. To turn back. To let someone else attempt the run.
    But…
    She squared her shoulders and looked back at the bridge, covered with guards and what she knew were those that hunted her.
    This was her burden now. She had come further than anyone before her and though it had only become more dangerous, her goal was not within reach.
    With a flick of her hands, she tied the heavy locks of hair into a ponytail. There couldn’t be anything in this run that can hold her back. Agility was everything if she had even the slightest hope of making it to the city.
    Her eyes closed as she walked herself through the terrain that she needed to cross.
    The river that flowed over the edge of the very cliffs that held the city.
    The path down its mighty side. Though one that was too perilous to attempt if she wanted to go unseen.
    Her mind flicked to the forest that was her only route. But her way down… her eyes flashed open, and taking a deep breath she tightened her cloak over her leather armour’s hard scales.
    She strode almost silently to the river’s edge. Big rocks made the journey across possible but hard. Yet that wasn’t the worry that gnawed at her bones.
    It was what would happen when she made the dash for it.
    Slow breaths steeled her heart before she took several steps back, enough for a run.
    With deliberate force she made sure her one foot was solid against the ground.
    She was as ready as she could be for this, though still her hands had a slight shake in them.
    Zalia sprang forward and ran as fast she could. Her footfalls struck hard against the ground and with a huge punch with her right foot, it sent her leaping through the air.
    A loud thud marked her boots digging into the ground on the biggest and furthest of the rocks in the river.
    Shouts immediately pierced the air.
    Her teeth gritted. She knew this would happen, it was inevitable. Yet, her heart still hammered in her chest.
    She rushed forward and jumped to the next rock, not even looking towards the bridge. A few seconds passed and she landed on the ground on the other side.
    Once, she would have greatly wanted to go and boasted to her best friend of making the feat. But she needed to run. Run like she never had run before. For the sake of the light she carried. For the sake of her people, she needed to run!
    Her feet thundered beneath her as she dashed for the outlines of the forest under the moonlight.
    Swords being drawn and armoured figures running behind her could be heard clear as day. Still she didn’t even glance around.
    The surprise had bought her a few minutes. Though she could hear the confused shouts of the guards of Nessa’Mor, over why so many of the volunteers this night were so furiously storming after a woman.
    This would have amused her to no end back home. But this was different.

The first tree darted past her as she ran into the forest’s recesses. This might buy her a few more seconds. But only a few.
    Those that hunted her were far cleverer than they looked. She had learned that the hard way.
    As she ran, she made her path as random as possible in the hope of confusing her pursuers. Though, from their incessant shouts, they were close.
    She pushed her legs faster. It would only be a matter of time before she couldn’t run anymore. But, she would push until the end. To her last. This was it. Unlike all the others before her, she had no way back even she wanted to give up and turn back. If they caught her now, her people…
    She ran faster, tears streaking over her cheeks.
    With ease she leapt over the twisting roots of the forest, using some as springboards over the next.
    Her legs started burning. But at least the pursuers were further away now, if just a little.
    Then she ran into a clearing, the moonlight shining brightly over the big but wonderful Dancing Trees.
    She stopped at the edge of the towering trees. A part of her wanted to enjoy the moment. For years she had dreamt of seeing them. Though, never under these conditions.
    It pained her greatly… a pang tugged at her pounding heart as her fingers touched the giant root of the one. But her mission made her straighten up. In her run her hair had come loose. The wind gently brushed through her locks.
    For the first time Zalia looked back.
    Numerous lights shined out of the forest. Her breath caught slightly. There were far more than even she anticipated. And the way they were fanned out, made any escape almost impossible.
    A sigh weighed down on her. Deep down a hope had been there that she could take her time to get down the mighty cliffs. But it was not to be. That plan had come and gone like a wisp of smoke.
    She walked to the edge of the cliff and watched the waves break far down below. Too far.
    Fear welled up in her.
    This was madness.
    But before she could turn around, she thought of her siblings. Thought of her friends. Thought of her family. And the hundreds of families that depended on her making it.
    Zalia squeezed her fists until it became painful. Then she let them go in helplessness.
    Without waiting, she jumped.
    Wind rushed past her face as the sea came closer faster than she could have imagined. She only had seconds to react.
    The crashing waves thundered below her and the urge to scream in terror was almost unbearable. But she resisted it with great effort.
    She pulled out her dagger gleaming dagger and shouted out for its light.
    White light flashed and illuminated the sea below her. Air rushed up at her with immense force.
    And the water burst around her and consumed her in a split of a second.

Stillness and pain coiled around her like a serpent of the deep. The surface with only moonlight looked like a far off dream.
    She wanted to just fade away into the dark waters. Tiredness seeped into her with a resolute will.
    Yet, Zalia woke up and clarity returned. She almost let the air out of her lungs as the pain in her chest surged to the forefront.
    But she fought it off and swam up with all her might.
    With a surge she broke the surface. An unexpected wave struck her back underwater. And she had to cling to the little air she had left in her lungs. Her feet kicked with difficulty, but again she got to the surface, gulping in a lung full of air.
    Finally, the lights of city of Nessa’Mor became visible as they shone brightly on the shore. With the help of the next wave Zalia swam closer to the sandy shore next to the lighthouse.
    A figure approached.
    Fear reignited in her heart. Her dagger flashed up and her feet shifted so she could fight.
    The figure pulled back her hood. But then all walls broke down in tears. Zalia leapt forward, crying like she had never cried before and embraced her best friend.
    “You made it,” Lii-ca said while her own tears spilled freely.
    Zalia just hugged the girl and said,
    “They got a chance now. They might live.”
    “Let’s go then. They are ready.”
    It was hard to suppress the emotions of the moment. But Lii-ca was right. They needed to go now before her hunters realize she had made the impossible jump. She darted after her friend into the Arch City of Nessa’Mor.
    Rest would have to wait, there was still more that needed to be done. The dangers that waited now only changed form.
    Last edited by XCali; 06-17-2017 at 06:35 PM.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Its a beautiful and unique style you have there, XCali.

An excellent first map

EDIT: yes I know you've done a couple of battle maps as well, but I think you started this one first?
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-17-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks Mouse.

I started this one first and plus minus a month later I posted the WIP for my battlemap.

EDIT: I changed the main post to help make it more clear
    Last edited by XCali; 06-18-2017 at 05:54 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

It's a fascinating concept and an interesting looking map, I just have an issue with perspective. Your image is mostly three dimensional except for the houses, which are two-dimensional and identical, it's a little too obvious you've used a stamp to create them. For example the Dawnflare Tower is 2D, but with a 3D shed on the side which makes it look like a big standing cutout. At a larger scale these aren't noticeable so doesn't spoil the overall effect, I only noticed when I zoomed in.

I like it. The style of the buildings made me think of Lowry. It has an industrial feel to it, and the irregular perspective gives it a 'periodic' feel. Having a style like this makes it stand out and it is far from unpleasant to look at. However I would have used a more 'dated' font for the labels, probably one with serifs.

Overall it's a thumbs up from me.

The perspective mismatch and stamped buildings is one of my favorite things about it. Wonderful job, looking forward to what you have next.

If you think about it, the way that John Speed represents hills in side view on his otherwise top view maps might have had scorn poured all over it if he was alive and working today in the 21st century, yet he is one of the most famous cartographers in British history, and people still buy expensive glossy-paged coffee table books of his maps, and/or hang them on their walls today. I have a framed one of Dorset myself - one of only three works I have ever bothered to hang on my walls.

I like XCali's map very much for its uniqueness of style, and you are right, Straf - his style has a distinct personality, just like a Lowry painting does, but its not just a Lowry lookalike - its an 'XCali'

I was thinking about Speed while I was typing. I wonder how people would react to his maps if he was posting to the guild today. Or Christopher Saxton. I had a couple of Saxtons kicking about somewhere but I don't know what happened to them. I think they somehow got lost in my various moves through the years.

You're dead right - its a Saxton of Dorsetshire I've got. One of the others I have is a Speed - his map of Cornwall, which shows the area I live in today as part of Cornwall, rather than Dorset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast