Thread: How would you do this?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Help How would you do this?

This map is going to be scrapped and re-done its awful, i only post it here as an example of what im trying to do, have a laugh at my expense its fine lol.

Basically im working on my own TTRPG and the map is quite a big part of it, when traveling over different areas of the map, the players stats are affected depending on the area theyre in, easy, moderate or difficult terrain for example. i need a way to relay to players what kind of terrain/area theyre in visually on the map. in this attempt i used a slightly see through overlay on the map with different colors representing the area theyre in, but it looks terrible, any other ideas on how to acheive this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C9RB6Yg.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	100188

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You say terrain is just one example - how many modifier parameters will there be? Say you use hexes instead of a grid - the bottom line of each hex could be coded with color, or a number, or whatever clearly communicates the parameter. That way ‘difficult travel’ could be separated from exact terrain type - maybe slogging through a deep swamp would be as exhausting as pushing through a deep forest or climbing steep hills. Maybe the top line of each hex has tick marks indicating the inherent amount of mana to draw on there, the upper left might indicate the potential for feeding oneself by foraging or buying food, and so forth.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

That’s a great idea thank you!
    Yes it won’t just be difficult terrain, some will also affect magic, constitution, will etc.
    Towns and cities won’t be mapped, in game mechanics will place towns/cities/encounters as they explore the world.