Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private Commission - Modern Battle Maps

Thanks for the warm welcome back Wingshaw (the artist formally known as THW?) and Falconius. It's true I've been gone for a while. But I'm hoping that now that life is coming back into a new equilibrium I'll once more have some time to frequent the forums.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I like both maps but I have to echo what the others have said, the first one is really impressive ! Glad to have you back

Seeing the evidence, and being awfully diplomatic and not saying anything at all about the particular qualities of the real life carpet, I would say that I love both maps

I'm in love with the trees in the first map. They're phenomenal. I'd love to see you do a regional map incorporating this style. 2nd map is very well done too, even if the carpet isn't quite my taste either haha!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I agree, those trees are awesome. Love them.
    Both pieces look great Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I like both maps but I have to echo what the others have said, the first one is really impressive ! Glad to have you back
    Thank you Thomas!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Seeing the evidence, and being awfully diplomatic and not saying anything at all about the particular qualities of the real life carpet, I would say that I love both maps
    Very diplomatic indeed Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I'm in love with the trees in the first map. They're phenomenal. I'd love to see you do a regional map incorporating this style. 2nd map is very well done too, even if the carpet isn't quite my taste either haha!
    Thank you ChickPea!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I agree, those trees are awesome. Love them.
    Both pieces look great Arsheesh
    Very much appreciated J!

They are both excellent maps! I prefer the first one because of the fantastic depth effect you have created

wow, the colors and the lighting on the first one are very cool!
    What's your process for this one? Did you use 3d software to help with the shadows?
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    They are both excellent maps! I prefer the first one because of the fantastic depth effect you have created
    Thank you Francesca!

Quote Originally Posted by mat_r View Post
    wow, the colors and the lighting on the first one are very cool!
    What's your process for this one? Did you use 3d software to help with the shadows?
    Thank you Mat! The layout, shading and coloring were all done in Krita, a free paint program (no 3d software involved). I mean all I did really was determine the direction of lighting and then draw in the shadows and shading by hand. I divided this into two steps: 1. add shadows to the lowest points (i.e. to the ground and vegetation that would be shaded by larger objects; 2. shade the trees themselves. I did however use a shortcut for shading the columns of the memorial: basically I created a horizontal rectangular selection, filled in a shadow for one column, move the selection to another column, fill with shadow, rinse and repeat. Nothing too fancy really.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12