Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: The Lost Continent

The issue is that your crabs are not aligned on the same polar vectors (yes I know crabs aren't planets, but that's not what polar means here ). This makes it look like one of those weird pictures where things are pointing one way in one area and one way in another area. Below is an example of how this can be fixed by aligning them all in the same direction. This issue arises from the fact that the crabs are seen at an angle (instead of from a true top down orientation). You optionally might try to find/draw some top down versions so that they can be rotated in any direction you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.bmp 
Views:	57 
Size:	732.5 KB 
ID:	9363  
    Last edited by Nomadic; 01-16-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Ah I see now, I just view it a different way then u

It means Ill have to get the uncurved layer from an earlier version (probably the first), cause to get the line out of the center of the crabs I had to delete that part off of the outline and the water, so flipping it will mean I have to modify that

The bottom might look a little weird tho.. idk

Ill try it out at least
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

On the pages themselves...lots of dead space. I'd either make the map bigger or wider or put some stuff in those dead areas like text or boats or fish or statues or something to fill it up a bit (not overwhelming just a bit of something to fill the space). If you like it the way it is then, by all means, ignore me
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I kinda like the white space myself, really helps with the composition (IMO). If you really want to fill it in maybe some very light, incomplete sketches? Not sure...

I agree with ravells, I kinda like the white space. I could add stuff in there, but then the map would look crowded, and not be as likeable. I may try some incomplete sketches like ravs suggested, or scale the map a bit to make it take up a bit more room, but idk. Ill experiment around
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    I agree with ravells, I kinda like the white space. I could add stuff in there, but then the map would look crowded, and not be as likeable. I may try some incomplete sketches like ravs suggested, or scale the map a bit to make it take up a bit more room, but idk. Ill experiment around

How about some hand written notes, perhaps with arrows pointing to specific features of the map?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

@--> Nomadic

I cant seem to get the crabs to work like u suggested. I just keep ending up with something that looks horrible or with the same thing as before

@--> Jfrazierjr

I dont really understand what your suggesting...

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    @--> Jfrazierjr

I dont really understand what your suggesting...
    In the white space between the map edge and the page edge, if you want to fill that up a bit without expanding the map, you could make some notes in the margin with perhaps some notes with lines pointing to specific features. think "annotation" in the margin. If you try that, it would be best done using a tablet if possible and the ink tool in GIMP to get it look hand written since using a font is going to get a consisted width which does not jive much with the hand written look. You could also use a displace filter on the hand drawn stuff a bit to make it a bit rougher, or even better, use a slight bit of smudge filter to make it look like the ink "ran" in a place or two (very little rate on the smudge tool, perhaps 35%). I would even think of using a totally different font as if the book were found by someone else at a later time period and they lost it after the fact. Think Indie's dad in the third Indiana Jones movie in terms of how there was tons of scribbles in his diary.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    How about some hand written notes, perhaps with arrows pointing to specific features of the map?
    I think that this would be a nice addition to the map. Will make it look like someone had the book open to this map for a reason -> making notes on it so they don't forget something they learned or thought of. The arrows would point out the location that the notes apply to.

just a word of warning = The map is real nice as as, but if you go this way DO NOT add too many or you risk drawing the attention away form the map itself.

This is very good work even without the notes though.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I like the idea of doing that

But yea, Ill have to make sure it doesnt draw to much attention from the map.

Maybe if I use one of the fonts that are in one of the links i gave. Maybe one that looks handwritten? that would work well.

Also I could maybe use a large fuzzy eraser with a low opacity to make parts of it look more faded then the rest?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast