Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: The Lost Continent

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    I like the idea of doing that

But yea, Ill have to make sure it doesnt draw to much attention from the map.

Maybe if I use one of the fonts that are in one of the links i gave. Maybe one that looks handwritten? that would work well.
    Another thing I just thought of is to incorporate the writing below also. Perhaps circle certain "words" as if the person making the notes is having trouble figuring out the meaning of certain words (or perhaps trying to figure out if there is actually some type of "code" hidden in the text.) Anyway, just another thought.

Also I could maybe use a large fuzzy eraser with a low opacity to make parts of it look more faded then the rest?
    Instead of erassing (which means it's GONE), use a layer mask instead. You might even "erase" some of the words in the description below the map also....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Another thing I just thought of is to incorporate the writing below also. Perhaps circle certain "words" as if the person making the notes is having trouble figuring out the meaning of certain words (or perhaps trying to figure out if there is actually some type of "code" hidden in the text.) Anyway, just another thought.

Instead of erassing (which means it's GONE), use a layer mask instead. You might even "erase" some of the words in the description below the map also....

thats actually a really good idea. Maybe a little bit of fading for the title to?

I like the idea of circling words to
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If this is in PS then just use the blur tool...and I like the idea of notes the best (got a winner there). The circled words, too, is a good idea...sort of like some lost ancient book and someone is on a quest and needs to decipher it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

thats actually a really good idea. Maybe a little bit of fading for the title to?

I like the idea of circling words to

Yea... Think of the original Stargate movie where the one guy got the words just a bit wrong.

For example, if the sentence is "Go through the ______ of the sun" where the blank is either too faded to read or perhaps has not been translated, the notes might be something like:

portal?
    gate?
    doorway?
    in the attempt to try to figure out what the heck it's saying.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yea that sounds like a good thing to do

Im thinking Im probably gonna do either http://www.dafont.com/beth-david.font?nb_ppp=50&af=on or http://www.dafont.com/oxford-runes.font?nb_ppp=50&af=on , as they look the most handwritten. I really like the Beth David one, but it only has capitals, while oxford runes has capitals and lowercase

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wouldn't the hand-written decipher notes in the margin be written in a more modern language (like English or Russian) rather than an archaic one? I'd just get a handwritten font and do it that way. Of course, you could have multiple decipherings in different languages too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Wouldn't the hand-written decipher notes in the margin be written in a more modern language (like English or Russian) rather than an archaic one? I'd just get a handwritten font and do it that way. Of course, you could have multiple decipherings in different languages too.
    Well... it could go either way. I think that if he went with the circled words as if someone was trying to decipher the words of the writing then you would be right that an end user probably could not tell that if it was done in yet another alien language. On the other hand, if it's just notes in the margins in another totally different language, that signifies to me that someone(thing) found it and lost it for a second time.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Well... it could go either way. I think that if he went with the circled words as if someone was trying to decipher the words of the writing then you would be right that an end user probably could not tell that if it was done in yet another alien language. On the other hand, if it's just notes in the margins in another totally different language, that signifies to me that someone(thing) found it and lost it for a second time.
    Yea thats what I was thinking.

Ive actually been trying to find a good fantasy font that is different than the Alphabet of the Magi font, but leaning more towards a cross between of that and a more english or other language that we are used to font

So far only good one to me is the Beth David

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Yea thats what I was thinking.

Ive actually been trying to find a good fantasy font that is different than the Alphabet of the Magi font, but leaning more towards a cross between of that and a more english or other language that we are used to font

So far only good one to me is the Beth David
    I'd personally go with a roman font (for English or another modern language), if only because it makes the map useable as more than just an artistic piece (of which, it is a very nice one).

If you decide to go with the "found anciently, partially translated, and lost again" motif instead, I'd vote for the Oxford Runes. With this one, you get the benefit of actual characters from the language of an old, sea-faring people (the runes at least appear very similar to the norse Futhark runes). I'm not familiar with the characters used in the Beth David font, although I suppose those might relate to an ancient character set as well.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast