Thread: General world map, input needed about geography & climate

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question General world map, input needed about geography & climate

I'm no artist, I intend to submit a map request later on, but first I'm interested in seeing that I'm creating a plausible map, geographically and climatologically.

The map itself uses very rudimentary drawings, but here's the key:

Blue areas: water/lakes
    Dark red: mountain range
    Green: land mass
    Orange-ish: desert

So here's a few questions I have concerning my map.

Upper right continent

The general western area of this continent resembles the oceanic climate according to the Koppen climate classification.

As you move eastward, the climate & geography tend toward a steppe/semi-arid climate and continues onward as such past the black border until you reach the desert.

The small island to the west of the far right continent should also have an oceanic climate. Specifically, these areas should be very similar to western Europe.

The small peninsula jutting out of the north of this continent should be humid continental (i.e., New England & parts of Canada).

The eastern area of this continent should be divided into two parts. The upper part should be more humid continental and the lower part should tend more to humid subtropical (i.e., Japan and parts of China).

The island on the bottom right should have tropical climate (is it too far south of the equator?) in general.

The climates of the other continents aren't all too important at this moment, as they are not the central focus of my world.

This is a world map, with the planet's circumference ~25,000 miles with the same axial tilt, distance from the sun, etc of the earth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map4.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	9205  
    Last edited by alman9898; 01-13-2009 at 03:06 PM.