Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: J.Edward's sloppy informal Mapvember gruelfest

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth
    Shakes head - you guys have tons of skills. For real.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    The parchment map is lovely!
    Thanks CP
    Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Awesome work John. I love both sketches and that parchment piece...what can I say?
    Thank you Damon
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    That parchment map... oh lord it's beautiful!
    Thanks Domino. Very muuch appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I wish my finished work would look like your sloppy maps...
    Your work is awesome Ilanthar, and you know it as do I

Here's a somewhat quick-ish map I did last night, as I was sort of falling a bit behind.
    Just wanted to knock out a little ink map. It ended up a bit larger than planned, but is still not too overdone.
    I just recently bought some colored inks and may try them out on this piece.
    I'd love to be able to do more traditional work, as it leaves you with a sellable piece afterwards, which would be helpful.

This one sort of goes along with the House of Morgyle piece done a little while back.
    I'm not yet sure which story world this and Morgyle are set in. It could easily be Luma and relate into the story of Briarhall and the Lady of Wold.
    But it could also fit nicely into the World of Nhyn and the Guild of Quills.
    And, sadly for me, it could also fit easily into the new world I am crafting.
    Needless to say, I have too many worlds going on.

Anyways, for now, The Village of Frogsmord
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village of Frogsmord by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	698.1 KB 
ID:	100948

It's done mostly in a style I used for some Luma rpg maps which no one here has seen.
    I am just not sure if trying to do an rpg product with no game mechanics is really of interest to gamers.
    And as such, is a viable sellable product. sigh... the life of a freelancer; the struggles of Ronin.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Perfectly fine map for something quick-ish!
    I always like the layouts of the villages you draw; they look very quaint and cozy.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I just recently bought some colored inks and may try them out on this piece. I'd love to be able to do more traditional work, as it leaves you with a sellable piece afterwards, which would be helpful.
    Yes please! Would love to see that. And I know how you feel (I think). I'd love to have the painting chops of say a Francesca Baerald (why aim low, right ), and produce a completely non-digital piece. But I'm even afraid to touch my pen+ink work with paint for now. I can only ruin them. My attempts at watercolour so far haven't been very encouraging xD

I'm not yet sure which story world this and Morgyle are set in. It could easily be Luma and relate into the story of Briarhall and the Lady of Wold.
    But it could also fit nicely into the World of Nhyn and the Guild of Quills.
    And, sadly for me, it could also fit easily into the new world I am crafting.
    Needless to say, I have too many worlds going on.
    What are those story worlds exactly? Imaginary creations for private use as a backdrop for maps, or settings you've worked on (or something else entirely)?

Are frog legs a specialty here?
    That is a beautiful little map, J. I'd love to see what you do with the colored inks but this black and white can stand on its own as well.

Side note: Patreon. Just sayin.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    That, exactly that

Such a cosy little village! I'd love to see some colour in it. Pretty please!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Here's a somewhat quick-ish map I did last night, as I was sort of falling a bit behind.
    Anyways, for now, The Village of Frogsmord
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village of Frogsmord by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	698.1 KB 
ID:	100948
    This is RIDICULOUSLY good for a "quick-ish" map.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Quote Originally Posted by Dyson Logos View Post
    100% agree.

I am just not sure if trying to do an rpg product with no game mechanics is really of interest to gamers.
    And as such, is a viable sellable product.
    It totally is. Over on DRIVETHRU.RPG there are lots of system neutral products; I'm sure that just the ARTwork in yours, would sell them, regardless of the text component!

RPG products with no game system attached, particularly settings & adventure locales are great because Games Masters just need to provide the game stats for Non-Player Characters & monsters and possibly traps for whatever system they're using at the time and if they change system...it's a just a matter of re-doing the stats. Probably not so useful for players but GM's love them, well I do at any rate.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post
    Perfectly fine map for something quick-ish!
    I always like the layouts of the villages you draw; they look very quaint and cozy.

Yes please! Would love to see that. And I know how you feel (I think). I'd love to have the painting chops of say a Francesca Baerald (why aim low, right ), and produce a completely non-digital piece. But I'm even afraid to touch my pen+ink work with paint for now. I can only ruin them. My attempts at watercolour so far haven't been very encouraging xD

What are those story worlds exactly? Imaginary creations for private use as a backdrop for maps, or settings you've worked on (or something else entirely)?
    I have been holding back from traditional color work for a long time.
    I can do it just fine digitally, but my efforts were also subpar with watercolor.
    Maybe i can get going with the ink and then move into some watercolor as well.

I'm surprised that you haven't noticed the slow drip of these worlds.
    Almost all of my personal maps relate back to one of these worlds.
    Luma, Nhyn, Ta-Uhn, Mim, and several others.
    They started with one or two worlds from gaming days, then moved on into worlds for stories to happen in.
    It's actually sort of a side thing that the mapping thing got so big so quickly.
    I was doing general illustration and graphic design stuff before my mapping really took off like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Are frog legs a specialty here?
    That is a beautiful little map, J. I'd love to see what you do with the colored inks but this black and white can stand on its own as well.

Poor little frogs Thanks Chashio
    I am getting the feel that I need to get on that, as evidenced by Thomas's response.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    That, exactly that

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Such a cosy little village! I'd love to see some colour in it. Pretty please!
    I am hoping to give it a go this weekend I hope i am happily surprised by some unknown skill with colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyson Logos View Post
    Thanks Dyson Which is high praise from a master of the ink map.
    Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    100% agree.

It totally is. Over on DRIVETHRU.RPG there are lots of system neutral products; I'm sure that just the ARTwork in yours, would sell them, regardless of the text component!

RPG products with no game system attached, particularly settings & adventure locales are great because Games Masters just need to provide the game stats for Non-Player Characters & monsters and possibly traps for whatever system they're using at the time and if they change system...it's a just a matter of re-doing the stats. Probably not so useful for players but GM's love them, well I do at any rate.
    This is wonderful to hear Damon. Thank you.
    I have been away from gaming for a long time and had forgotten much and just wasn't sure if system neutral would appeal.
    I have some work to complete then.

As a quick question to you Damon [and any others that use gaming maps], do people want a specific campaign world with related setting specific stuff?
    Or just the general location info?

To my eye this 'quick-is' map upholds the same standard as your regular maps. I'd rather call this a change of style than quality. It's really amazing what you're able to do in so little time.

As for your question, I would agree with the others. I think you'd get a lot of followers over on Patreon and also RPGDriveThru is a good idea, though I have no idea to what degree you would or wouldn't have to create a setting.

Great work!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast