Thread: Looking for 8 professionally made maps

Post Looking for 8 professionally made maps

Hi there, I'm currently DM'ing for a private group with some homebrew that I would like to run with some professional maps in the future.

Types of maps im requesting:

1x World Atlas Map - this is the main map I'm looking for and is the only one I need/want in colour.
    2x Large continent maps - these will be "zoomed in" maps of the two large continents (Ezura & Eridas)
    2x Smaller continent maps - these two maps will focus on the other two, smaller continents (Erona & Crimson islands) in my world
    3x Capital cities - these are the three major cities (Enetia, Aes & Zaheroft) that can be explored and played in.

Note that only the world map should be in colour, the rest I would prefer on parchment.

For reference, here is a rough sketch from inkarnate for the world map. Any features can be adjusted within reason:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map (1).jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	728.3 KB 
ID:	100888

Please note that this is not to scale. Further information will be provided. The size for the maps I'm looking for is A3.

Another post outlined a design process which I think is a very effective way of handling this request.
    Design Process:
    Stage 1 – initial concept sketch – once approved
    Stage 2 – A 50% design development submittal for review – once approved
    Stage 2 - Should include locations of natural features including larger rivers, mountains, deserts, and large lakes
    Stage 3 – A 90% design development submittal for review – once approved
    Stage 3 - This should have little color at this stage with the final 10% being finish color.
    Stage 4 – Final Maps

Please be aware that I need these maps in very quality so that I can print them for future use.

Copyright:
    I will have the right to commercially reproduce the work completed. This would be in the form of publishing in a campaign setting and in the form of campaign setting related graphics.
    The artist may redistribute the work completed for portfolio or profit, without changing the final product.

Please contact me at leon.tpc[AT]gmail[DOT]com for further ideas and details on the maps

Hard deadline for world map: end of 2017, although end of November is preferable.

Thanks to Wired for pointing out that my proposed prices are way under what is normally charged for professional fantasy maps. Prices are negotiable!

(I really didn't want to offend anyone, I'm still new to the entire industry as a whole)

Also I can't reply to any posts because of spam protection, so I'll edit this post as the feedback comes in.
    Last edited by jaeger; 11-07-2017 at 05:51 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

What's the size you are looking for for these maps? Do you want them in color?

*sighs*

Alright, I'm gonna be "that guy" again.

Because if you want them in color I have to say sorry mate, but your prices are not realistic, especially under a commercial license. Just FYI, colored city maps with any kind of useful detail are something that is in the range of $300+ per piece for a semi-pro or professional cartographer (and that's me lowballing it). The budget you've set yourself is $650. I assume you want these maps in color with a good amount of detail for them to be commercially viable lateron. As such the budget you should be setting yourself is probably in excess of $2200.
    Last edited by Wired; 11-18-2017 at 04:10 AM.

Cheers for the follow up questions.

The Atlas map should be in colour, all other maps I'd prefer to look like parchment (reference: https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...1&d=1363814955 )

I'm more than happy to pay more if the quality of the map is worth it, my upper limit would be $600 for the world map.

The great thing is, if you don't want to accept those prices, you don't have to

J

Wired is, once again thanks for that Sebastian, the voice of reason.

Cartography takes time and the prices you're proposing are way below the lowest hourly rate for any jobeven if the artist has the right to sell the work for his own profit.

I would also add that making 8 maps in full colour is not the easiest task in such short deadline. It is doable, but people would proably ask more money if this deadline is a must.

Size is a crucial information that you did not mention yet.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Just reply/post three more times and you will be past the spam thing. It was quite frustrating for me also way back.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
    Cheers for the follow up questions.

The Atlas map should be in colour, all other maps I'd prefer to look like parchment (reference: https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...1&d=1363814955 )

I'm more than happy to pay more if the quality of the map is worth it, my upper limit would be $600 for the world map.

The great thing is, if you don't want to accept those prices, you don't have to

J
    Lol, that's the spirit!

I am interested in working with you.
    However I won't be able to do it in the timefram you've requested. At least not all 8.
    If you want to split the task I'd be more than willing to do it for a decent price.

my work:
    https://dvg94.deviantart.com/gallery/

I would be interested too, but same as dvg94, no way i can make it within the time. If you dont mind having some maps in different styles, you can try commission different people for different maps and split the work as dvg94 suggested.

I am up for a world map maybe. I would have to get more info thought. Anyway check my portfolio and let me know if you want something in my style.

Cheers
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee