Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Hey everyone,

I am new here, and also pretty new to map making. I enjoy GM'ing RPG games for various people and I have decided that I wanted to increase the immersion that my players experienced. Any suggestions or pointers on how to make maps or programs to use to do so would be greatly appreciated.

I run both fantasy and Sci fy campaigns, if that has any bearing on what to do. thanks in advance for the help.

Hello Jim

There are loads of different apps you can use to make maps. It really depends on what you want.

There are general graphics apps like Photoshop, GIMP and Krita (the last two of which are free), and there are purpose built mapping apps, like Campaign Cartographer, Fractal Mapper 8, and MapForge (At least, I think the last of those has been released in Alpha ?)

How about showing us a couple of links to the kinds of maps you are interested in being able to make - or even a couple of your own maps? We can probably help you better if we know what you are aiming for

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimjomamma View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am new here, and also pretty new to map making. I enjoy GM'ing RPG games for various people and I have decided that I wanted to increase the immersion that my players experienced. Any suggestions or pointers on how to make maps or programs to use to do so would be greatly appreciated.

I run both fantasy and Sci fy campaigns, if that has any bearing on what to do. thanks in advance for the help.
    Depends on what you are going for, region maps, battle maps, continent maps or city maps. Each has a slightly different way to go about them. If you want, you can choose one of the programs Mouse mentioned and make a rough map and post it in the WIP progress section. Then the guild can guide you with suggestions.

(Note: the posting is difficult for the first 5 posts for a new member, so just bear with it. It gets better afterwards. )

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19