Thread: New Around Here, I need directions.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Question New Around Here, I need directions.

Hello everyone, it has been a long time since i signed up for a forum. I'm really new into Map-Making/World-Making. I prefer Photoshop.

I'd like to ask, if i want to make a map like Pillars of Eternity's in-game map; what ways do i need to follow and what tools i need to use? Is there any map assets or things like that for me to give it a start?

Thank you, already.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pillars-of-Eternity-World-Map.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	551.2 KB 
ID:	101701

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

I suppose the most direct way is to send you to this thread here, which is a summary of the best tutorials posted on these forums. Other than that, the simple and most likely somewhat discouraging answer is: practice, practice, and more practice. The map itself should be doable comparably soon on the learning curve; the symbols are for masters, I'd say (I couldn't do them in that detail and quality).

That's a painted style. It 's a nice one but it's not very common around here.
    Some members doping maps in that style :

Chashio https://www.cartographersguild.com/member.php?u=35300
    Viking https://www.cartographersguild.com/member.php?u=80879

Ooh, pretty. I don't believe I've seen that map before... not surprising as I don't play games.

My process for something like that would be setting up a document at least 300px per inch, choosing a base texture [some mix of paper/canvas is my preference] and locking that layer[s] so I can't accidentally paint on it... sometimes I use two texture layers, one on the bottom, one on top to pop stuff a little more [if you do that and like to select colors from the canvas, set the color picker to current layer only or you may pick up darker tones than you want because of the texture].
    It helps if you choose a mid-tone ground color to start instead of a white background... something that will blend in with things if you don't cover every inch with painted details.
    Then I'd sketch out a very rough layout of where stuff goes, keep that as a low opacity layer for a guideline and start painting... block in basic colors and add detail and refine as I go. But that's me, very intuitive and probably not overly helpful. Feel free to ask me questions.

If you really want to get into it, I'd suggest do a few small throw-away studies of what you're aiming for and get used to how the painting technique and process feels and then try something bigger. It also helps to watch people painting... something similar to what you want to do if possible... but I've found that just watching the techniques of painting can be useful.

Also, look at pictures of panoramic maps for inspiration and reference of painted map styles. H.C. Berann and James Niehues are great.

Also also... I made a video of how I would start roughing in a painted style map. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb-lxuzl6cX/ just the initial sketching and blocking in... no refining... and I left out the base texture 'cause you can't see it in the video anyway. shrug. hope it helps get you started.
    Last edited by Chashio; 11-26-2017 at 07:17 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

So many tutorials to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk