Thread: Hello Everyone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Welcome, and see how quick it is to get answers here. I will give rep to jfr for that.

BTW: To get it 1 in that usually means 1" = 5ft which is 1:60. So you will have to draw your map to a fixed scale so that say 200 pixels is 5ft then its a 200 pixel grid to apply. Lots of pre-made icons come in fixed scales so look out for stuff you want, see what scale they are in and design the map to be that scale. If your making all your own stuff up then ensure that whatever tokens you create are high enough res so that any map at highest res has token detail. Then you will have to scale tokens down on a per map basis depending on your desired map scaling.

If you were aiming to print that map for tabletop play then I would go with 300 pixels per 5ft real world and scale up/down all stuff to that.

Thanks Redrobes. I already gave rep to jfr (and you now as well), but I'm not sure if my rep is worth anything at this point...

You say that I should go for 300px per 5ft. That would mean in gimp creating an image that is 300ppi correct?

Blog Entries

If your planning to get it printed then yes. If your using it on the screen or in a virtual table top then you could go lower. Also if your map is like 5ft x 4ft then thats a big map at 300 ppi so maybe just go lower anyway. But usually and if able, 300 pixels per inch is a good idea. So an A4 image is about 3500x2500 or thereabouts. You can create the image with a setting for 300 dpi / ppi and then set the inches directly.