Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP x64

Yeah, I've checked on drivers, I'm good on everything I still use... (but I'm probably gonna hand down my scanner to someone around here...)

Blog Entries

For all my old kit I have an old machine - real slow etc running Win2K and its on the LAN so I use old printers and my crummy (definitely not wacom) pen tablet from that. If I want to use the pen tablet on my main machine screen then I can slave them together with VNC. Actually this second machine has some of my CD's on it and other printers etc so that if I play music or look at iplayer or something that it uses no CPU on the main box either. Its completely useless for anything heavy tho.

Here's another question... will the 32-bit binaries take advantage of the 64-bit environment? From my understanding they won't... So should I see if someone has compiled GIMP and Inkscape for 64-bit windows... Or do it myself (not really an option, I understand that would really involve code changes to get the best out of it... and I'm not a very experienced coder (yet))

32-bit binaries run in 32 bit compatibility mode under the 64-bit OS. As far as the 32-bit binaries can tell they are running under a 32-bit OS with all the limitations thereof. To get 64-bit behavior your program has to be compiled under a 64-bit compiler with 64-bit libraries. I searched for "gimp for x64 windows" and got some hits so it looks like gimp at least should be 64-bit clean already.

Post XP64-bit

Two more considerations for XP-64bit are

- Extensions must also be 64-bit (like being able to right-click for a quick Winzip). The application might run, but if the extensions aren't 64-bit, they won't show up.

- Legacy software: any 16-bit apps will not run. XP64-bit will mask (emulate) for a 32-bit app, but has NO support for 16-bit apps, so if you have an old program you really like, it will not run. Anything originally designed for WinMe/98/95/DOS falls into this category, as well as the NT before version 4.

It shouldn't be an issue, but you will save a lot of time and headache if your XP has Service Pack 2 already slipstreamed into the install. Service Pack 3 is available, but you have to use the one for Windows Server 2003, and a few sites have said that it can make some apps stop working.

With any upgrade, BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA AND SETTINGS FIRST. If you have licenses and such, make sure you have that data, too, in case you have to reinstall.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12