Thread: Regional Map Ullesh

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Map Regional Map Ullesh

Been trying to get the hang of that old timey regional maps style and well, failing at it a lot atm haha. just can't seem to get that colour and mixture of layers right. I also feel like a need to make my linework when drawing with pen and paper just that bit smaller for it to feel a little smoother

It was a fun learning process anyway playing around with the various layer functions as I really don't use them as much as I should. Next step learning the whole mask functionality, judging by the guides. Tips, comments and stuff definitely appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	south temel old 3.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	101952

before messing around with it

Name:	south temel basic.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	101953

The... it came from the abyss variant (ie.. messing around a lot with layers)

Name:	map south.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	101955

And where it all began

Name:	30101707.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	101954

I like the top map. It's relatively simple but it's got a very nice style and attractive colours. I'm a little torn over your labelling. On one hand, I like the font and I think it fits very well with the style of the map. But, on the other hand, I don't feel the labels stand out enough. It's OK when you're zoomed in, but I feel they get a little lost against the background when zoomed out. Not sure what the solution is. Maybe a lighter colour? Anyway, just my tuppence worth, take it or leave it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

This is a well-done map, good job.
    I agree with ChickPea, it is too hard to see the labels. I would like to add a bit to ChickPea's suggestion on how to make the text better: either make the text bigger or use a font that stands out more.
    Last edited by LordCartoart; 12-03-2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Grammar

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I like the top map. It's relatively simple but it's got a very nice style and attractive colours. I'm a little torn over your labelling. On one hand, I like the font and I think it fits very well with the style of the map. But, on the other hand, I don't feel the labels stand out enough. It's OK when you're zoomed in, but I feel they get a little lost against the background when zoomed out. Not sure what the solution is. Maybe a lighter colour? Anyway, just my tuppence worth, take it or leave it.
    Ty and to you as well lord carto... Defintely agree with the writing. As I was zoomed in doing it all fine but once out you can't see it at all. I do like that font though haha.. I'll see what it looks like enlarged or a lighter tan. Or both.
    Might even a few larger writing for the desert name above, mountains and forests and lighten it in.

Nice map! I love the muted colour palette.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM