Thread: Aeternum

Guild Member

Map Aeternum

Hey all,

It's finally time for me to accept that I can't think of anything else to do with this map, so I'm posting it. Had to lower the quality slightly but I don't see any obvious artefacts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 4.7 10of12 quality.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	6.33 MB 
ID:	101555

This map was made for a friend of mine with whom I used to roleplay a lot. I don't anymore, but I still enjoy making up stories and creating the worlds that go with them. As such, the map comes with a very brief guide with some information and backstory on the world and its nations. I wanted to add it here but I can't seem to upload PDFs.

I used a combination of several tutorials on this website, though most of it came from the Saderan and Terrain Creation tutorials, with some different colors/brushes/textures used. The border was done the only way I know how. Straight lines, triangles, expanding/shrinking/adding/subtracting selections, etc. Always comes out looking a bit machined, but I can't draw. The images in the corners were taken from the web. I chose them because they show the four seasons going round and round, which I thought fit nicely with the map's name (Eternity). I tried looking for the original creator but I couldn't find any names. That said, the map will only ever be used by my friend, to create roleplaying stories.

The signatures were provided by Guild user Riorlyne, who kindly offered to write them by hand and scan them in.

Experimenting with the tutorials was tons of fun, and I'll be looking for a different style to try my hand at next. For now, this is the finished product that took more months than I care to admit. Hope you like it!

Raz

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Hi ! I like your map very much... very well done !

If had to make one critics, that would be the size of the shields : too little... I really had to look for them...

Some other mapper would have add a lot more details (roads, border, etc) but I understand your choice

Guild Member

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I did actually do roads and borders, but the way I did them just kept making it look like a mess, so I gave up. I agree about the shields, in hindsight. I thought I could put them smaller since there's big versions on display in the top left text box, and they look different enough not to mix them up. Making them 50% bigger would have probably been better though, you're right. I think it's because I get so familiar with the map due to working on it so long, and the standard becomes "Can I tell them apart easily?", rather than "Can someone who has never seen this map tell them apart easily?". Definitely something to improve on next time around.

I always love to seea map in this style! Good job, Raziel!

Very nice work, Raziel! I’m glad I wasn’t nearby when the War-Ender crater happened :-)

Guild Member

Thanks for the kind words guys! Really motivates me to start up a new project sooner than later =)

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    I’m glad I wasn’t nearby when the War-Ender crater happened :-)
    The story behind that is actually what drove me to make the map in the first place. Looking forward to see what sort of roleplay my friend and his group can create with this.