Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fanatsy World Map - Final Stage

Ah well, i didn't take that into account, i'll change that.
    Last edited by bandersnatch; 11-30-2017 at 09:45 AM.

BTW, Waldronate designed Fractal Terrains, too...

Wilbur- the freeware- is in many ways more powerful, but definitely not as polished. (As I mentioned the interface can be confusing, and in particular sometimes uses very formal image processing jargon instead of dumbed-down verbage.) I use Wilbur, but I bought Fractal Terrains to support Waldronate. Frankly, if you find yourself using Wilbur a lot it's sort of a dick move not to do something like that. If you just use it for one project it's probably not as important.

Quote Originally Posted by bandersnatch View Post
    I didn't put any effort in the tectonic history, and i also know the vulcans arent all that realistic, especially the divergent ones, but i think a bit artistic freedom is allowed. ^^
    I also dont know anything about how tectonic movement comes to exist, so i doubt there is any logic behind the movements.
    Tectonics were one thing I didn't need for my project, so I never learned much about it, or I'd help you. And Azelor is the guru to ask about humidity, currents, climate, etc. As I mentioned before, though, with a small planet with odd temperature gradients I'm not certain how valid any advice would be.

Wel... maybe there is a super small black hole inside an ancient alien reactor inside the planet, so the garvity is kind of earth like. Of course its not right in the center, its a little bit displaced, so there´s kind of a gravity hotsopt some where in Neonia. '
    Idk, i think i may have to come up with something better. ;D
    There´s acutally no element heavy enought for creating the needed gravity with this measurments, so there has to be something astronomical / fantastical.
    A slug of neutronium would probably work, too. I read a neat novel once where the Earth was destroyed by dropping a (much smaller than you'd need) slug of neutronium and a slug of antineutronium into the planet. Both are dense enough that they actually orbited inside the planet until they lost enough energy through resistance to meet at the core, and BOOM!

Dark matter or WIMPs are another option, and have the benefit of not requiring some sort of handwavium active maintenance system to not destroy the planet, unlike black holes or neutronium. They just co-exist in the same space as the planet without interacting with it except through gravitation. Then if you like the idea of variable gravity, as you seem to, so long as the load of dark matter/WIMPs was placed recently (on geological timescales, I mean) it could still be "sloshing" around, leading to the variable effect. This might also intermittently speed and slow the planet's rotation as well as precess and/or librate it, leading to very interesting astronomical observations.
    Last edited by acrosome; 11-30-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Ah thats great! I also thought about "neutronium", but dark matter did,for some reason, not came to my mind I'll look into that, thanks.
    Wilbur- the freeware- is in many ways more powerful, but definitely not as polished. (As I mentioned the interface can be confusing, and in particular sometimes uses very formal image processing jargon instead of dumbed-down verbage.) I use Wilbur, but I bought Fractal Terrains to support Waldronate. Frankly, if you find yourself using Wilbur a lot it's sort of a dick move not to do something like that. If you just use it for one project it's probably not as important.
    Sure, i'm aware that both is Waldronates work and i'm sure he put a good amount of effort into the software, so as i already mentonied, i'll probably buy FT3. :-)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Lilian Oake's Avatar

GAH! I think it's gorgeous! I know next to nothing about cartography, and came to this site to find someone to help lol my hopes have gone way up for what I'll find here!

Hello there,

i recently introduced myself in the Member Introductions Forum.
    I previewed the creation of a Fantasy World Map there and since it takes me some effort to write readable English, I will just copy and paste a part of the Introduction in here:
    I'm pretty new to the topic cartographie, I just came to it while I was creating a fantasy world for memory routes, and improving imagination... the whole venture was so fun, so I started taking things serious.
    I wanted to create a world as logic and structured as possible. Of course location is an important part of this, so i decided to draw a little map with an app on my smartphone.
    I thought a bit about climate and water currents, and created some layers, it was kind of fun but it turned out to be not detailed enough. It wasn't very pretty too. ^^
    So I started creating a Photoshop file with my little map.
    While looking up the needed skills for Photoshop I came across the awesome YouTube videos from Jan Loos, in which he's progressively creating a pretty awesome world map.
    I decided to give it a try. I read some stuff about how tectonic movement, climate, vulcanos, mountains, and rivers come to live, and just started while watching the video Jan is creating his own map.

It took me some time, but I'm mostly finished for now.
    The map should represent a prototype, which i´ll work on from time to time in the future, to improve it, part after part.
    Since I'm not very profound with Photoshop the creation of the whole map from scratch took me like, idk, like 40+ hours, but it was very fun and worth it in the end.
    Some things still need to be improved, like flattening the areas where the rivers flow through. I'm not that happy with the lakes too, so I may make some fundamental changes on these both things. The cilmate is a pretty big topic itself so there sure is spacke for improvement too. I also want to add some unique fantasy/scifi features, or areas to the continental / countire view.
    Here is the Map in low resolution, if you guys want to get deeper into it, you can read the rest of the description below, and take a look at the associated files I put in a OneDrive Folder.
    Attachment 101718

Folder: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArYQk8uyMD3cpHTEKxcndA4xrdFJ

Scaling:
    Since scaling was kind of a problem, the world is only 1800*1200 km big. 1 pixel are meant to be 100 meters, so the whole image is 18000x12000 pixels big right now.
    My laptop was barely able to compute this in Photoshop, and since rivers needs to be at least 1 pixel in width to be seen on the picture, I did not want to scale 1 pixel bigger than 100m.
    Its fine with me, 2.16 Million square kilometers are pretty much space I think. It's just a little planet though.

Rivers & Lakes:
    So back to the Rivers and Lakes, of course the mountain rivers are not all 100m in width. Only bigger rivers meant to be seen in the world view, and they are also might not 100m in width too.
    There are a lot of other little lakes and rivers which are not able to be seen in the world view.
    As i already mentioned I'm not sure about the rivers and lakes, I may will just let a few big ones be on the world map, and make some more detailed, and more logic in the continental or country view. Idk yet.

Ice Caps:
    As you might already recognized, there are no ice caps. There also will be no ice caps. I don't need them for my use. Maybe the sea water has just a super high salinity.

Climate:
    The planet has no seasons, so its rotation axis is parallel to the one of the Sun in its solar system.
    The climate is kind of Earth like, so the temperatures are pretty much the same, and the movement of the air is following the same principles too.
    Since I'm not very profound in the topic, I renounced on super detailed land mass dependent air movements.
    Some regions are influenced by warm or cold sea currents. You will find some pictures which should give an idea of the climate, the water and the air movements in the OneDrive folder.
    If you have Photoshop you can just download the lower res psb file, so you are able to click through the different layers by yourself. The rivers and lakes will not be in that file, because I added them later, after computing up the resolution of the picture.

Landmass:
    There are three different types of mountains, folding mountains, volcanic mountains, and ancient mountains.
    The tectonic plates are capable to be seen in the normal image by recognizing the sea trenches and mountains.
    There´s a tectonic layer too, in which you can see the plates and their movement.
    Attachment 101746

The ancient mountains came to exist earlier in the life of the planet, they are not connected to the current tectonic movements.
    There are 6 different continents and around 15 different countries with different humanoid or partly non humanoid species.
    I think that's it so far.

You will see the process of creating the map, by looking at the uploaded images. I will describe the important parts here now too:
    After the beginnings with a hand drawing and an app on my mobile device I watched Jan's videos and just did mostly the same what he did:
    I rendered some shapes with clouds and the threshold filter, put them in a composition of continents and islands I liked.
    Then I started creating some textures for land and sea, i just followed what Jan did, since I would have had no idea how to create that stuff on my own in Photoshop.
    However, I experimented by myself with everything i saw, and created some textures I liked.
    After that I put in the mountains, the hills, the sea trenches with some self-made brushes and adapted the edges and relief options in the layer style.
    Then i colored everything, put in the forest and rivers and that's pretty much it. The light is coming from the top left.

Because this is a cartography forum i didn't tell anything about the content, names, races and the story of the world, if you are interested in that part too, i can also write something about that. Its pretty raw though.
    Since I'm new to the topic I hope for some useful feedback, the logic of the world is pretty important to me, so if i miss something, or you have some other good input for me, please tell me!

/edit: The more i am reading here in the forums, the more i realize theres a lot of room for improvement. There's some great content here, its kind of overwhelming
    LF Oake
    Creator of Jaydür--the reason I need you fantabulous cartographers!

Bounty of the Everdark
    An Ogre's Tale
    Nahtaia: A Jaydürian Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Lilian Oake View Post
    GAH! I think it's gorgeous! I know next to nothing about cartography, and came to this site to find someone to help lol my hopes have gone way up for what I'll find here!
    Thanks and welcome :-)
    You can find all sorts of great content here...
    I just came across this thread; https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=39224
    its pretty cool too I think. It's kind of inspiring^^
    Since you are a novelist your story's will benefit from a proper location system for sure.
    Looking forward to hear sth about your project.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

The size doesn't affect air circulation as much as the speed of rotation.

No axial tilt means more extreme climate. I mean you have constant temperature similar to earth after equinoxes. I would probably be living in a tundra. India and much of china would be deserts since there would be no monsoon. Basically the equator would be hot and rainy. Mid latitudes would be temperate borderline tundra. Everything else is mostly a desert.

Hi everyone,

I made some progress.
    I skipped the climate stuff for now, I'll think about that part some more and come back to that soon.
    The last days I made some height maps and encountered several problems I need some help with.
    I created the height maps for every continent seperated.
    I just copy and pasted some real height maps, adjusted them and added some details. It was a load of work though.

The next step was to add the maps in wilbur, getting some erosion and good rivers.
    The %noise, fill basins, ... incise flow method worked well so far.
    In the steps after that there occoured three problems;
    -the first one is that the resolution of the greyscale png wilbur export is 72dpi.
    I tried to export it as bmp greyscale, it didn't work, the file gets completle distorted, not sure what is happening there.
    I don't know what to do about that, or which else file format could work.
    I need it in 300dpi.
    -the second one is that the rivers in the output greyscale image differ a lot in brightness, so I am not able to select them all together for a channel mask.
    I dont know how to solve this either.
    The channel is for the colorization later, is there any other way to get the rivers into place? I also don't know what to do about the lakes. But I'll figure this out after the river problems are solved.
    /edit: great, i found this thread https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=21207 where waldronate already answered this question!
    -the third one is; it seems I can't use lighting filter on greyscale images. Makes kind of sense^^ ... /edit; solved it. changing the mode to rgb and to 8bits made it work.

So far so good, it would be awesome if you guys could help me with the resolution and the river problem. /edit: only the resolution probem remained^^
    /edit: well i computed up the image and i think its okay like that. Let me know if there´s a way with less dataloss.

Here some Pictures of the height maps: (before wilbur)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AndoraPanya Height.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	5.07 MB 
ID:	102097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AndoraPanya Height, Gradient.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	6.52 MB 
ID:	102098

Name:	Arktus Height.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	9.45 MB 
ID:	102099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arktus Height. Gradient.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	7.18 MB 
ID:	102100

Name:	Exodar Height.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	6.72 MB 
ID:	102101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exodar Height, Gradient.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	8.39 MB 
ID:	102102

Name:	Helios Height.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	8.52 MB 
ID:	102103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helios Height, Gradient.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	6.06 MB 
ID:	102104

Name:	Vastera Height.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	8.53 MB 
ID:	102105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vastera Height, Gradient.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	6.77 MB 
ID:	102106

Some more pictures of the bump map and the rivers will follow soon.
    Last edited by bandersnatch; 12-09-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Here a picture after bumping up the map and after the river finding.
    There still are to much small rivers, and no Lakes, I'll erase some of the smaller rivers later by hand and add the lakes with some dClouds shapes, i think.
    Critique appreciated

Name:	Vastera Final Bump.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	6.49 MB 
ID:	102125
    Last edited by bandersnatch; 12-09-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12