Thread: Vanaheim

Wip Vanaheim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vanaheim-robinson.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	102066

Here's the world map that I've been fleshing out with intent on developing regional areas (the first one is Andaeyjar, down in the sci-fi section). Done in Illustrator and Photoshop. I'm currently working on it in sections, adding relief, rivers, cities, etc., as I go.

Based on the realm from Norse mythology, this world is a conglomeration of several very different homebrew rpg campaigns and has seen a lot of evolution over the years.

For reference, here's the previous version I was working on many moons ago before my lovely computer ate it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iordanne-robinson.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	936.1 KB 
ID:	102068

Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

Guild Expert

Great job on this, The way you've distributed the land is really very nice and well balanced.

I'm curious about the Vanaheim map. Is the geography of it your own invention, or have you found something in one of the Eddas or other mythical documentation that provides the basis for this geography?
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I agree with kacey, the land shapes and distribution look pretty good to my eye as well. Nice job with the colors as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

The geography is my own invention; I've spent considerable time researching the Eddas looking for geographical references and have come up nearly empty-handed. In fact, the only place-name I've been able to locate that might be related to Vanaheim is Nóatún, which is where the god Njörðr, "father" of the Vanir, resided. However, nowhere does it specifically say that it is located in Vanaheim, only that it is located 'in heaven'.

Interestingly enough, there isn't even a consensus among scholars as to where Vanaheim itself was located, mythologically speaking. One source places it "to the west of Asgard;" others place it "in heaven," underground (referencing the Vanir as hill-mound dwellers) or even as part of the underworld. It's also been identified as possibly just another name for Álfheimr, realm of the elves.

There is, of course, plenty of non-information out there due to the wild success of Marvel's Thor series of movies. While thoroughly entertaining, the mythology they present is usually about as accurate as watching an episode of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

In developing the backstory/history of my version of Vanaheim, I've tried to stick to references from the Eddas, with mythological accounts actually being re-tellings (or in some cases, mis-tellings) of actual historical ones. Unlike the Marvel Universe which depicts the nine realms as separate planets, I'm developing Vanaheim (and the other realms, for that matter) as existing in a sort of pocket/alternate dimension occupying the same space as Earth (Midgard), but each with very different geographies, climates, etc.

Greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksguard View Post
    The geography is my own invention; I've spent considerable time researching the Eddas looking for geographical references and have come up nearly empty-handed. In fact, the only place-name I've been able to locate that might be related to Vanaheim is Nóatún, which is where the god Njörðr, "father" of the Vanir, resided. However, nowhere does it specifically say that it is located in Vanaheim, only that it is located 'in heaven'.

Interestingly enough, there isn't even a consensus among scholars as to where Vanaheim itself was located, mythologically speaking. One source places it "to the west of Asgard;" others place it "in heaven," underground (referencing the Vanir as hill-mound dwellers) or even as part of the underworld. It's also been identified as possibly just another name for Álfheimr, realm of the elves.
    I quite agree with all of this. I think I've read all the various Edda versions as well as a lot of other Scandinavian mythological texts, but I've always found anything on Vanaheim and the Vanir to be rather vague. That was the main reason I asked. I was wondering if you had found information that has eluded me and the other two members of our project group.

In developing the backstory/history of my version of Vanaheim, I've tried to stick to references from the Eddas, with mythological accounts actually being re-tellings (or in some cases, mis-tellings) of actual historical ones. <SNIP> I'm developing Vanaheim (and the other realms, for that matter) as existing in a sort of pocket/alternate dimension occupying the same space as Earth (Midgard), but each with very different geographies, climates, etc.
    In our Jorðgarð campaign setting, we've been taking Eddaic ingredients and trying to weave them into a credible and playable RPG environment. In Snorri's Prose Edda we see how the folk we came to call the Æsir moved from Ása (Thrace in Asia Minor) northward through Europe. As they moved, their leading deity Óðinn (Odin) began as a secondary figure, with Tiwaz (later Týr) being the top deity, and as they moved Óðinn gradually gained that role and the position of Tiwaz/Týr receded. As Óðinn led his folk northward, his name changed 170 times, according to some studies, with the main versions being Woden, Wodan, Wotan, Ódin and Óðinn. We started our campaign setting in the Fallen Empire in Ása, the lands that Óðinn and his followers abandoned. The next segment then will move to Ásgarð and Miðgarð, where Óðinn et all still will be very much present.

However, I hasten to add that our work is by no means mythologically accurate. Rather, it is an RPG adaptation. Good luck with your project!

Servus,
    Last edited by Mark Oliva; 12-08-2017 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Illiteracy
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project