Thread: October 2017 Mapping Challenge Entry: Quest for the Zhe D'uhn Diamond

Map October 2017 Mapping Challenge Entry: Quest for the Zhe D'uhn Diamond

For the October Challenge, we had to map a quest. There was a word list, and we had to choose a minimum of 5 words to include in our map. I think I chose a lot more than 5... but the inspiration for this map, is from a book series I was writing back in college... many, many years ago. I only wrote the first book in the series, though I had the titles and ideas for the rest. Quest for the Zhe D'Uhn Diamond would have been book two in the Goddess of Light Chronicles.

Unfortunately it was before my first computer, when I was still writing by hand, or typing on a typewriter. A fire in the dorm where I was living led to a building collapse, and everything went up in flames... including my first draft, my notes, my outlines and all. I was so upset and disheartened, that I gave up on the Goddess of Light series.

But this challenge reminded me of it, so this map would have gone with the second book, if I had ever written it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quest for the Zjed'Uhn Diamond15.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	102055
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Wonderful map, Ladiestorm. The detail is excellent.
    I am truly sorry to hear about your work being burnt, I cannot imagine how disheartening that would be.

Thanks, CartoArt!

I enjoyed making this map, and I learned some things too!

As for the lost work, yes, it was extremely disheartening at the time. But who knows? This story line may make a comeback... in a campaign module? The homebrewed variety, of course!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

It's a shame to hear about the fire and all your notes, Storm, but I hope you do come back to it again at some point. If an idea inspired you before, then I'm sure it can inspire you with that same passion again! It reminds me of how one of my favourite ever films (Stalker) was the result of the almost all of the original footage (over a year's worth) being lost when the film stock was botched in processing. After almost being cancelled, they had to reshoot the entire thing again with most of the budget gone, the studio breathing down their necks, a small crew and only across a few days.

I know it's not quite the same, but like I say if the idea and the passion are there, then there's almost no stopping something from being made!

Anyway, I think this is one of my favourite maps of yours by the way. It has a good layout, it's nice and clear and even has some story lore thrown in for good measure!

Why thank you, Greg!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Nice work ladiestorm. The journal entry was a nice addition that helped add a bit of color to the piece. Sorry to here how your creative work was lost in a fire though, that's really unfortunate.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh