Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP World Map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yasha Oqlie View Post
    I hope it's ok that I'm chiming in on this. I think maybe some visual presentation might help with the problem of the poles. This is a map I'm working on that's really in early stages but should help illustrate the point.
    Thanks for the visuals Yasha Oqlie. They did help me to figure out what I was doing incorrectly (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by whisper_my_name View Post
    Oh my!!! Thank you so much for sharing your Terrain Palettes!!!
    Whisper_my_name: I am glad you like the textures. I had not really seen several of the textures done in black and white before in a style I really liked so I thought I would give it a shot. I hope to update these in the future as I come up with better ideas.

Also, here is my latest version from a g. projector image. It is in the Eckert Projection but I am unsure why there is a thin strip of white at the north pole. I cant find a way to be rid of it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eckert Projection of world map.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	103836

You are using g.projector to get the Eckert projection? What is your initial projection, equirectangular?

It look much better. There is still a small gap in the north east that could be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    You are using g.projector to get the Eckert projection? What is your initial projection, equirectangular?

It look much better. There is still a small gap in the north east that could be problematic.
    I am inserting my map with the Robinson projection. It is not the same as the Eckert but since the insert shape is the same it was the best I could do. If I had planned from the beginning to use G. projector I could have made a better choice. I am still pleased with the outcome shape of the continents though.

Edit: Also, upon further investigation into that spot in the North East I found I had not pulled the color high enough in 2 areas. Here is the version without that spot. I have also removed part of the north west that was bothering me for just being slightly out of place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eckert IV World Map.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	103864
    Last edited by Arimel; 01-27-2018 at 05:28 PM.

I'm glad that they helped. If you want to or are having trouble working with the your original robinson projection, you can convert your map to equirectangular using G. Projector and save it and use that instead. Just be sure to tick off the graticules before saving. I'd also recommend checking your map in orthographic every once in a while to make sure things are actually looking the way you want them to look.

I'd definitely recommend converting your map into equirectangular oblique in order to work on the pole areas, 'cause that would help work your way around the polar distortion pretty easily. I think I've bookmarked the tutorial on that, so I'll edit this post with the link once I find it.

Edit. Here's the link: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...l=1#post363382
    Last edited by Yasha Oqlie; 01-27-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yasha Oqlie View Post
    I'm glad that they helped. If you want to or are having trouble working with the your original robinson projection, you can convert your map to equirectangular using G. Projector and save it and use that instead. Just be sure to tick off the graticules before saving. I'd also recommend checking your map in orthographic every once in a while to make sure things are actually looking the way you want them to look.

I'd definitely recommend converting your map into equirectangular oblique in order to work on the pole areas, 'cause that would help work your way around the polar distortion pretty easily. I think I've bookmarked the tutorial on that, so I'll edit this post with the link once I find it.

Edit. Here's the link: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...l=1#post363382
    Thank you for all the advice. By opening my map in the equirectangular projection I finally got rid of a circle of blank space that kept on appearing on the top of my globe in the orthographic projection. Also, I tried opening my map in the equirectangular oblique but could not figure out how to reupload it into G. projector with the changes. I could not figure out how to set the center of the map as the pole.

What ? This projection ?https://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/gpro...laroblique.png

G projector only accept the standard equirectangular projection as a valid input.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    G projector only accept the standard equirectangular projection as a valid input.
    Yes, but with the way Yasha Oqlie phrased his post it sounded like you could edit it in the equirectangular oblique projection and then reupload it into G. projector. This could have just been a misinterpretation on my part though. In any case, using the orthographic projection I could see the pole and I dont really want to change it. It looks fine to me so I am going to be moving forward with the tectonic plates (that is if everything looks correct in my last image post).
    Last edited by Arimel; 01-28-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Yes, but with the way Yasha Oqlie phrased his post it sounded like you could edit it in the equirectangular oblique projection and then reupload it into G. projector. This could have just been a misinterpretation on my part though. In any case, using the orthographic projection I could see the pole and I dont really want to change it. It looks fine to me so I am going to be moving forward with the tectonic plates (that is if everything looks correct in my last image post).
    As the equirectangular oblique is an equirectangular projection, that works as input too (just be aware that the latitude lines may not match unless it's centered at the equator). But you definitely can modify a map in equirectangular oblique and then reload it into GProjector and project back into the original projection (I explained how to do it over in Tiluchi's Pangarap thread).

If you're looking into implementing tectonics, I also spammed a lot of tectonics-related posts in the Pangarap thread that might be helpful. Other threads worth checking out are kacey's Unexplored Lands and PaGaN's thread, both of those include a lot of tectonics-related content. There are a lot of older threads around as well that include tectonics-related stuff.
    Last edited by Charerg; 01-28-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Charerg has explained the method perfectly, just follow the steps and you'll be fine. Generally speaking, I think most people find working with the equirectangular projection as their source map easier despite the distortion (though there are ways to circumvent that), due to the fact that you are basically painting on a rectangle with a 2:1 width to height ratio. Less chance of messing something up that way.

Things are looking good so far with your map, can't wait to see where this is going

Sorry it has been a while since I last posted but my schedule picked up again last Monday and I wanted to ensure I could follow Charerg's tutorial before I posted. I have now followed it successfully so thank you for posting. I will now use this tactic to edit the northern pole. I will then post the results.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast