Ooookkkkkk. So moving forward a bit more, I am now beginning the actual world building and drawing of the world. I am starting with two different maps, one of the world as a whole, and another of a much smaller region on the bottom right on in all of my previous images (I will try to include better image to describe this below). My WIP is on the smaller region, as I am still working out how I want to do the larger one.

Image of a climate map centered on the continent with an arrow pointing to the approximate region in question:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrow.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1,021.5 KB 
ID:	115543

Image of actual region sketch:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darnal Valley sketch 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	115544
(Top of the map = East)

-----------

This is the Darnal Valley Region. It is a relatively small valley were two branches of the larger mountain range reach out towards the west. It was carved out by glaciers many years ago, several of which can still be seen to the east. The valley is in a humid continental climate, getting lots of rain in the summer and some rain during the winter. The forests here are largely deciduous but get more coniferous as it reaches up towards the higher altitudes.

The Darnal valley does not have a central government at this point in its history, being a buffer zone between the expanding Amiro Empire to the west and the dwarven kingdom of Durgord to the Southeast. The placement between these empires could very easily make it an important trade route to follow or a war zone to avoid. However, its fate is yet to be written in stone...

----------

I am having a slight problem trying to put the elevation into the map. The mountain symbols along the edges are merely supposed to show how the elevation rises there, not individual 4km wide mountains. Any suggestions here would be great!