Thread: [Region 1][Map 25][Location 4] - Port Magalie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    To be honest, I'm not especially familiar with the way medieval cities operated; would I want to stop shipping from passing through here completely by making narrow-spaced archways that would only allow smaller boats?
    Well, that depends. Can boats travel up a river or something or is this just a bay? From the few things I have read about this port I know it is located in hostile territory. So it needs strong fortifications. But trade is also the lifeblood of the city, especially trade by water. So I think they wouldn't really want to limit the size of (trading) vessels.

Anyway, I think with chains in the water, catapults, trebuchets and ballistas on the walls and cliffs and those arches from where defenders can throw down rocks, pitch and other kinds of nasty stuff, you really wouldn't want to sail your boats too near the city. I am thinking the city has its own navy and might even have some fireships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ship). Sail them into the enemy fleet that is packed in that gorge and things will get really nasty

You can't really map the chains, but if you are going to label the city, maybe you can label some of the (chain) towers?
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 01-17-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...