Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning about HP Laptops - incompatibility with Win 10 Creators Update

Thanks, Falconius

Most of my software is free - GIMP, Krita, and I believe (though I will have to check to be sure) that I will be ok using my CC3+ and its add ons without having to buy another licence for Linux.

I shall have to go and ask over at the PF forum and see

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's interesting. Thank you!

I've just been reading about Ubuntu, and was really pleased to find a list of familiar apps - including GIMP and Krita. I did however notice that the version of Krita was 2.6.2, which never worked very well. Is it like that for all the apps? I mean - are they all a few versions behind what you can use in Windows?
    It depends on how the development is done. Some projects have very small development teams, perhaps involving only a single individual. The software gets built for one particular environment and then someone else ports it to another O/S when they get around to it. Some projects have enough people and equipment involved that the software can be built and tested under multiple platforms simultaneously.
    Selden

All this is so very new to me. I'm only really getting about half what you are saying, but I'll get there in the end.

Thanks Selden

About transferring apps between platforms, I mention this because I've being using Affinity Designer recently, and I was browsing their forums and noticed a few people asking about about transferring between Mac & Windows.. The problem arises because Affinity Designer & Photo are sold through Apple's store, and not from Affinity themselves. Therefore, you're buying from Apple who share limited customer details, so Affinity aren't able to confirm the person's identity (so they said). I think there's some other legalese/licensing restrictions too, but that was the gist of it.

I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that Adobe allows the licence to be transferred between platforms, but I'm not up to date on their current policies. Anyway, it's just something to keep an eye on for anyone considering swapping platforms.

Mouse, about the version of Krita with Ubuntu, that can be updated if you choose. There are tools that will allow you to update to the newest version.

EDIT: I should ask, were you looking at Ubuntu 16.04 (a long term support release) or the newer 17.10 version (which is only supported for 9 months I think)

EDIT2: About Krita again, I just checked my machine and I'm running version 3.3.1, so 2.6 sounds quite old.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 12-10-2017 at 04:07 PM.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

LOL!

I don't know what I'm doing, ChickPea...

(Clueless me)

There seem to be millions of different versions of everything, and I'm just a bit confused.

Is it better to get one of the versions that you have to update every 9 months?

And yes - I think I was looking at 16.04.

All I want right now is to choose a version of something to download so I can make a boot thing on a memory stick and see what happens when I boot from it - see what its really like to actually use Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that Adobe allows the licence to be transferred between platforms, but I'm not up to date on their current policies. Anyway, it's just something to keep an eye on for anyone considering swapping platforms.
    Pretty sure that Adobe doesn't support Linux anymore (I think they used to a long time ago?), so again you're stuck with either Mac OS or Windows.

Is that why some people have two platforms on their PC, like Ilanthar is doing?

(sorry about the silly questions)

You're hardly clueless, Mouse! This is all new territory. Man, I remember the first time I installed Linux on my own (this would have been 200. I was terrified in case I broke the computer beyond all repair.

There are pros and cons to both 16.04 and 17.10. Version 16.04 has been out for well over 18 months and should be very stable. It's supported till 2021 so no problems there. I usually stick with LTS versions these days. However... there's a new LTS version due in April 2018, and I would likely upgrade within a few weeks of that. So, right now, I'd probably go for 17.10 because I know I'd be changing again in April/May next year (17.10 is supported till July 2018. But... the non-LTS versions can sometimes be a little less stable, however they do have newer apps and packages, sooo.... take your pick!

I know you don't have unlimited bandwidth, so it would probably be better to download the version you'd hope to run, and I don't think I'm helping you make your choice. Sorry! Probably 16.04 would be the best choice. You get the stability and it's usually pretty easy to update older packages. And if you like Linux, you can look to upgrade to the new LTS next spring, and you'll be more confident doing it then. So, yeah, go for 16.04!

How you are installing it onto the USB? I think Ubuntu has a windows app for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Pretty sure that Adobe doesn't support Linux anymore (I think they used to a long time ago?), so again you're stuck with either Mac OS or Windows.
    Sorry, I was meaning transferring between Mac & Windows. I'm not sure if Adobe has ever officially supported Linux, though I believe some (probably older) versions of PS run just fine via WINE.

I think if Adobe did support Linux, there would be a not inconsiderable number of people who would swap platforms overnight. I noticed even in the Affinity forums, there were a number of people badgering the admins to offer up a Linux version (they said no, they didn't have the resources).

Blog Entries

this is why i have what i have in my footer below this post

oops i was thinking of the wrong forum
    but i also have this in my email footer

" i do not pitch linux to my friends i let Microsoft do that for me "

Linux OS's do take a bit of research and one really should write out ( on paper with a pencil ) a outline for the install

the " One click install " idea is not really a good idea

one really should learn to USE a computer and software not just "point and click"

Once you get a basic understanding of HOW it works then YOU!!! can decide on how YOU WANT IT TO WORK FOR YOU

and not have the OS dictate how you can use it or NOT use things

on laptops the major issue is the MS windows requires the Frankenstein's monster of the VERY good UEFI
    -- Microsoft Windows Secure Boot ©™ ---

MS can require that secure boot NOT to be able to be disabled
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 12-10-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast