Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pangarap: Building a world from the ground up

This world is well thought and has a solid bacgkground to be among the most scientifically plausible seen so far from what I have seen...
    I had the desire to create a new alien world in future going back to the roots of how I made Thersis but this time I wanted ot make and study the climate of a possible panworld with large terrain masses and the beginning of a fracturing ...
    I also like a lot the fact that you considered older and newer orogeny , this justifies much better the placement and the typology of the mountain chains , so you can see the difference between appalachian mountains, the Urals, the Alps the Himaplaya etc...
    Great job so far.

Thanks all for your comments! Putting together the geology has honestly been lots of fun, and a great learning experience. I'm certainly far from an expert in geology (social scientist here!), but even a little bit of research about plate tectonics is rewarding and interesting.

What's... not as much fun has been working on the poles- re-projecting the map in GProjector, drawing the elevation, then re-reprojecting it and tracing the elevation at 600% zoom on the original map. Very tedious and I'm glad to have it over with, even if I suspect I'll do some further tweaking to the elevation before I move on to the actual climate part. Current draft is attached- with the poles completed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PangarapElevation.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	7.68 MB 
ID:	114571

Chugging right along, I've updated the elevation a little bit to make some cosmetic changes, but more importantly took a stab at the currents and pressure systems. The currents should be fairly self-explanatory (red is warm, blue is cold, white is neutral), while I adapted the color scheme for the pressure zones from this map. Adding shading seems to add a bit more nuance since slightly high pressure has different climactic effects than very high pressure (à la the Siberian High), and vice versa.

That said, I know even less about meteorology than I do about geology, so any suggestions or critiques are welcome!

Updated elevation:

Name:	PangarapElevation.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	9.03 MB 
ID:	114621

Currents:

Name:	Currents.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	4.90 MB 
ID:	114620

January pressure systems:

Name:	January Pressure.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	5.71 MB 
ID:	114622

July pressure systems:

Name:	July Pressure.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	5.68 MB 
ID:	114623
    Last edited by Tiluchi; 04-02-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Wow, all neat and great !

As always, when I see Charerg get going with plate tectonics it is very humbling. This world will obviously benefit from the inspiration that this process provides.

As an aesthetic criticism, though, I will say this: The way that the continents make a circle reminds me too much of attempts where the artist is trying too hard to make everything fit neatly onto a rectangular map. You should messy it up a bit more.

Finally had a little more time to work on this... Attaching maps with my winds and temperature zones as per the Azelor tutorial. Now to begin the long task of adding the temperatures... but any comments or corrections to the placement of the winds and temp zones are welcome!

July:

Name:	July Temperature Zones.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	5.32 MB 
ID:	115324

January:

Name:	Jan Temperature Zones.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	5.02 MB 
ID:	115325

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

OMG, I can not believe I have not seen this thread before, So much good stuff here.

Great map by the way.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

Quote Originally Posted by joaodafi View Post
    OMG, I can not believe I have not seen this thread before, So much good stuff here.

Great map by the way.
    Thanks Joaodafi! It's been fun to work on, although challenging. E fiquei impressionado com as suas mapas também

Finally had some time to work on temperatures... I may do some further refinements to the isotherm boundaries, but if anyone has critiques on the general placement of temperatures I'd welcome them!

July:

Name:	July Temperatures.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	115568

January:

Name:	January Temperatures.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	115569

Currently working on precipitation... I don't remember it being this difficult! Even figuring out the location of the ICTZ, as high precipitation areas on Earth don't seem to exactly match with the ICTZ location. I suspect I'll go through lots of iterations before I have something worth uploading here.

Wow, that took way longer than I thought it would! Despite Azelor's excellent advice, figuring out precipitation boundaries is quite difficult with non-Earthlike landforms. Not sure if I'm fully satisfied with what I have yet, but I'll post my current versions here while I try and figure out how to work Gimp and Gimp scripts...

January Precipitation:

Name:	JanPrec.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	117039

July Precipitation:

Name:	JulPrec.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	4.65 MB 
ID:	117040