Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pangarap: Building a world from the ground up

Well, it took a lot of trial and error, but I was finally able to get the GIMP script to work with my input maps (protip for others who are technologically illiterate like I am: use .png files rather than jpegs so that oceans are colored as alpha rather than white). I made a few tweaks to the maps seen above and came out with the following generated climates, and the script spat out the following map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Climates_gen.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	5.67 MB 
ID:	117446

Overall I think it looks quite good, but comparing the Earth climates generated with the script to the "real world" climates it seems there are a few systematic errors it makes. In particular, it seems that Cfc climates are highly overstated, to the extent that most of what's deemed as Cfc is actually better listed as Cfb. It also tends to "under-generate" Am climates, so I changed some areas of Aw and Af to Am so that there would be more of a transition zone as seems to happen on Earth. I also changed all As climates to Aw, since there's not really a practical difference between the two when it comes to actual biomes. The edited map is below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Climates_edited.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	5.71 MB 
ID:	117447

I'm fairly happy with this map as it stands, although I'm sure I'll continue to make some small adjustments as I look at it more closely. However, if anything looks grievously wrong with it, comments and criticisms are welcome!

Now to move on to adding more details to this world...

Looks pretty good to me. You're right on the money on noting that the distribution of Cc is vastly exaggerated. It's not due to the script per se, but rather due to the system we use to generate the climates (namely, creating temperature maps for just the extreme months). Cc climates (and Dc & Dd, for that matter) are defined as having 1 to 3 months with mean temperature above 10 °C, approximating a short, subarctic summer. So if you want to be a bit nitpicky, there should be a narrow transition zone of Cc between the tundra and Cb (since Cb climates are defined as having at least 4 months above 10 °C, whereas ET has 0 months above that threshold).

Other than that, it seems to me that the Cs climates are a bit lacking in distribution. Particularly Dao, Talisay and Molave seem to have only either very narrow or almost nonexistant Cs bands on their western coasts between the arid BS/BW areas and the temperate Ca/Cb/Da/Db climates.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345